post-mint download... cant download anything!!!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nicqawsed

post-mint download... cant download anything!!!

Post by nicqawsed »

hi, so i successfully downloaded mint 10 32 bit standerd version and i went on fire fox to download maxthon and when i downloaded it this is what it sayed : Archive:
/home/nic/Downloads/mx3.0.17.1109.exe
[/home/nic/Downloads/mx3.0.17.1109.exe]
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /home/nic/Downloads/mx3.0.17.1109.exe or
/home/nic/Downloads/mx3.0.17.1109.exe.zip, and cannot find /home/nic/Downloads/mx3.0.17.1109.exe.ZIP, period.

so i figured that i need to download win rar so i tryed and it sayed that again.... please help, do i need the dvd version that has pre installed stuff on it???
P.S. i am useing archive manager and i think that could be the problem..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: post-mint download... cant download anything!!!

Post by richyrich »

Don't know what 'maxthon' is, but exe files are for Windows, this is Linux ! . . . you would have to use Wine or PlayonLinux or something. (right-click, open with Wine?)

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
0ddity

Post by 0ddity »

Maxthon won't work unless you have IE installed, it's an alternative browser that puts a different UI on the IE base. SO first you'd have to install IE in wine. The latest version of IE that Wine supports is 7, and that is also the earliest version that Maxthon supports, so theoretically it could work.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

...theoretically and practically you are absolutely right :lol: , 0ddity, but confused, why to hell install anything what is made-in or bind with whatever from microsoft :x :evil:

There are so many cool stuff in LinuxMINT, so - forget IE, forget Maxthon, see repo for Opera (I suppose he has already FF installed in his Mint) or easy to use Midori browser.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

nicqawsed,

Linux is not (a free version of) Windows, and as such, there are things, practices and philosophies that you were used to doing in Windows that don't work exactly the same way in Linux.

That said, maxthon is a Windows-based internet browser, and AFAIK, is not ported to Linux. So, In lieu of maxthon, use FireFox, Google Chrome, or Opera. Use Software Manager if you want to download and install Google Chrome or Opera.

Suggested, for further reading THIS LINK.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

Return to “Beginner Questions”