Will installing Mint on my computer make watching online vi

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brawnypandora0

Will installing Mint on my computer make watching online vi

Post by brawnypandora0 »

Since Mint doesn't install as much needless junk as Windows and don't slow down over the course of the day, if I replace XP with Mint on my desktop will I be able to watch online videos faster?

My graphics card is eight years old; to give you a sense of its speed, watching youtube videos at 240p is fine but at 360p the video becomes very choppy and sometimes it makes my computer freeze. Conversely, my laptop has Mint instead of XP with a faster video card, but the exact same speed of RAM and CPU, and watching 360p videos is fine.

I don't want to buy a new video card. Will installing Linux on my desktop just do the trick?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Will installing Mint on my computer make watching online

Post by caf4926 »

In short No

You will generally get better video playback in windows because the driver support is better. Though I never have trouble in Mint or Linux generally, but my hardware is a little newer than yours.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
ShAkKa43

Re: Will installing Mint on my computer make watching online

Post by ShAkKa43 »

Flash videos usually perform worse on Linux than they do on Windows so i doubt you will get any improvements by switching to Mint.If you do decide to install Mint you can try installing a flashless App called Minitube which will let you watch Youtube videos on pretty high quality without using much processing power.

Return to “Beginner Questions”