Computer reboots immediately after shutdown

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ryan64

Computer reboots immediately after shutdown

Post by ryan64 »

Hello folks.

I am very definitely new to the scene so please forgive me accordingly.

When I select "shutdown" in Mint 8 (or Mint 9) the computer appears to shutdown normally until it powers off at which time the computer immediately powers back on and reboots the OS. When I select "restart" the process looks the same with a longer pause between powering off and on again. How should I address this?

Toshiba Satellite U405
Currently running LinuxMint 8 Main ed.
2x AMD Turion x2 Dual core Mobile RM 70
ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics

Thanks,
Ryan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Computer reboots immediately after shutdown

Post by willie42 »

I would say its a power supply issue but before we scream hardware take a look at a thread that I found. let us know if this works or if more investiagation needs to be done.

http://superuser.com/questions/62798/my ... o-shutdown
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
ryan64

Post by ryan64 »

Thanks for the reply and the link. I tried disabling wake-from-lan in the bios with no success. Disconnecting hardware in the laptop is perhaps beyond me at the moment. I don't really know how to "disable" it in Linux if that is possible.

I do note some new info. Shutdown works with Windows Vista on the same system. Shutdown works with Mint 8 when running on battery (with AC power connected I get the reboot).

Hopefully this sheds a little more light.

Ryan
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Few Questions ...are you using mint 8 and mint 9 dual boot with Win Vista? Did this just start when you Installed Linux or is did this just start all of a sudden?
ryan64

Post by ryan64 »

I originally had Win Vista without problem (came with the computer). I installed Mint 9 and removed Vista. Then I tried Vista and Mint 9 dual boot before going with a Mint 8 clean install. I've always had the shutdown problem with Mint from the beginning regardless of version or whether Vista is present.

Thanks,
Ryan
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Lets take a look at hardware. Go into your Terminal

Code: Select all

lspci

Take a look at hardware
ryan64

Post by ryan64 »

This is what comes up:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 Host Bridge
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Toshiba America Info Systems Device 9602
00:05.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 1)
00:07.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 3)
00:0a.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 5)
00:11.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 SATA Controller [IDE mode]
00:12.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller
00:12.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700 USB OHCI1 Controller
00:12.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller
00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller
00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700 USB OHCI1 Controller
00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller
00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 3a)
00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 IDE Controller
00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 LPC host controller
00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Mobile K10 [Turion X2, Athlon X2, Sempron] HyperTransport Configuration (rev 40)
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 11h [Turion X2, Athlon X2, Sempron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Mobile K10 [Turion X2, Athlon X2, Sempron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Mobile K10 [Turion X2, Athlon X2, Sempron] Miscellaneous Control
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Mobile K10 [Turion X2, Athlon X2, Sempron] Link Control
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS780MC [Radeon HD 3100 Graphics]
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8040T PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (rev 12)
06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
09:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): O2 Micro, Inc. Firewire (IEEE 1394) (rev 02)
09:01.2 SD Host controller: O2 Micro, Inc. Integrated MMC/SD Controller (rev 02)
09:01.3 Mass storage controller: O2 Micro, Inc. Integrated MS/xD Controller (rev 01)
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Ok here is what I have looked at as to be the issue possibly......hopefully someone will chime in if they know more. It appears to me to be an Hardware issue by the sounds of it. I found this thread and it sounds somewhat like your issue. The only thing that makes it different is your Video Card is ATI and it appears in this situation its a nVidia. Read the Thread and hopefully someone with more knowledge will be able to further give you better direction.

http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.ph ... 63&start=0

Hope this is of help to you.
ryan64

Post by ryan64 »

The links feels like it might lead to the answer however when following the advice to open a terminal and:

"1. Edit /etc/modules with "$ gksudo gedit /etc/modules" and add a new line: "apm power_off=1""

as well as

"2. Edit Grub menu with "$ gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst"

I am prompted to enter my password then windows open but are devoid of text. They are empty. This is not what I was expecting and does not look right.

Thanks for your help,
Ryan
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

The reason its prompting you for your password is because you are using gksudo which requires super user privs. As I said this post follows close to your issue. I am hoping someone has a better idea than what I had.

Return to “Beginner Questions”