How to Burn a bootable Linux mint cd?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lonestern

How to Burn a bootable Linux mint cd?

Post by Lonestern »

I am new of cousrse. I want to know if i can burn Linux mint gnome 10 rc and boot straight from a cd? and if it can burn; how to burn it. I downloaded an Iso file so do I just burn it on a cd or wat???

All help will be appreciated.

Lonestern
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: How to Burn a bootable Linux mint cd?

Post by remoulder »

Lonestern wrote:can burn Linux mint gnome 10 rc and boot straight from a cd?
Yes and yes, that's the idea.
Lonestern wrote:I downloaded an Iso file so do I just burn it on a cd
You have to burn it as an image file, not just copy the .iso to the cd. Make sure you burn at the slowest speed your burner supports and verify the burn. Also when you boot from it, run the Check this disc for errors menu option. Unless you get a perfect burn, your resulting installation will give problems.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
cxexa

Post by cxexa »

Make sure to use a CD-R, not a CD-RW.
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

cxexa wrote:Make sure to use a CD-R, not a CD-RW.
Why is that?
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

grey1960envoy wrote:
cxexa wrote:Make sure to use a CD-R, not a CD-RW.

Why is that?
Yes Why :?:
:?
cxexa

Post by cxexa »

I've not had luck booting from a CD-RW. I thought I would minimize the number of issue-causing variables by recommending a CD-R. Apologies if I am incorrect.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

My experience with CD-RW is that they're good for a few rewrites (2-5), and then they just won't boot - as far as using them as LiveCDs, anyway. For data, I have no idea.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

My experience with CD-RW is that they're good for a few rewrites (2-5), and then they just won't boot - as far as using them as LiveCDs, anyway. For data, I have no idea.
My knowledge or what I have been told is that like tape Technology, Its surface that holds data is different than a regular R CD. The more times you erase a tape and rewrite the less reliable it becomes. A rewriteable CD is the same way. Burning and reburning causes the rewritable to degrade and the error rate increases. and this in my experience is not correctale. Hope this helps
:D
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

Makes perfect sense, but I wasn't sure whether it has a similarly big effect on normal data as on a LiveCD. I suppose it matters, of course, but...

Return to “Beginner Questions”