Is there some sort of download manager in Linux Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brawnypandora0

Is there some sort of download manager in Linux Mint

Post by brawnypandora0 »

When I download large files from the web, I have to leave the Firefox window open all the time until it's finished downloading. Sometimes when my download hasn't finished yet, I close the window by accident and then I have to start the download all over again. This has happened a few times now and is really frustrating. Does Mint have some sort of download manager that handles web downloads and lets me close Firefox? If not, how do I get this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dragard

Re: Is there some sort of download manager in Linux Mint

Post by Dragard »

Huh, whenever I use FireFox and I'm downloading something, I can close the window and the Download window will still be open showing the progress. Even when I close the download window, it's still downloading cause when I open up FireFox I can see that it's been downloading. Chromium wont let me do that though.
brawnypandora0

Post by brawnypandora0 »

Dragard wrote:Huh, whenever I use FireFox and I'm downloading something, I can close the window and the Download window will still be open showing the progress. Even when I close the download window, it's still downloading cause when I open up FireFox I can see that it's been downloading. Chromium wont let me do that though.

That doesn't happen to me!!!
colyn

Post by colyn »

brawnypandora0 wrote:
Dragard wrote:Huh, whenever I use FireFox and I'm downloading something, I can close the window and the Download window will still be open showing the progress. Even when I close the download window, it's still downloading cause when I open up FireFox I can see that it's been downloading. Chromium wont let me do that though.

That doesn't happen to me!!!
Try it again. It works for me. Download should not stop unless you stop it yourself.

When you close the window download will stop but will resume a few seconds after starting Firefox again..
euthypro
Level 3
Level 3

Post by euthypro »

You can try the Firefox add-on "DownThemAll!." It will pause and resume, optimize download speed, and handle multiple downloads. I find it excellent.

Edit: Before installing this add-on, I would switch to Opera for any major downloads. Opera download manager is better.

Angel
vincent

Post by vincent »

If you want to download something large but don't want to have a browser window open, you can just use wget in a terminal. E.g. if you were to download the latest kernel sources, this is what you would do:

Code: Select all

wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.36.tar.bz2
And if you stopped the download, and want to continue again from where you left off...

Code: Select all

wget -c http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.36.tar.bz2
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

I use Gwget, a nice front-end to wget, very easy to use and configure, very friendly. Just paste the download links into it, and tell it when to download. :)
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.

Return to “Beginner Questions”