Dessktop enviornment Question

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nolag

Dessktop enviornment Question

Post by nolag »

I know that there are different enviornment stuff for linux mint, like KDE and fluxbox and more. I also know Ubuntu has different distros like that. Three questions

1) Can't I install the main one then get the desktop enviornment I want?
2) I know for Ubuntu KDE comes with less stuff (or at least did), and it pays (or paid) to download the original and install KDE is this the same for linux mint and its distributions (although I like gnome so it does not matter to me just curious)
3) Why do some only come in 32-bit can't I use the 64-bit and install the de after?(other than Debian, I understand that one it not just the enviornment)

I am considering installing one of them (the one that uses the least batery power IDK what that is yet), as a secondary when I know I need to go out for long periods so this is why I am asking these questions :) (also I like to know things).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grey1960envoy

Re: Dessktop enviornment Question

Post by grey1960envoy »

I run Mint Gnome and find I can get anything from Linux and pretty much whatever I want from Ubuntu repositories .As for which version is easier on battery life I really do not know BUT it would also depend on what you use the laptop for.I find my old Dell inspiron will run about 1.5 to 2 hours on the battery .(BTW the battery is old not going to full capacity Laptop says 45.1%
nolag

Re: Dessktop enviornment Question

Post by nolag »

Thank you for the reply, so if I wanted LXDE on my GNOME versions for the odd time when I need to save a lot of power (or a little extra) I could get it :). I use 64 bit though and I noticed that LXDE does not have one for mint in 64-bit but I think their was one in the repo for ubuntu does that mean I can get it from there?

Return to “Beginner Questions”