Mint 9 locks up on 1st boot after install

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bduares
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 9 locks up on 1st boot after install

Post by bduares »

I have a Dell Latitude C400 laptop. Normally I run Windows XP Pro SP3 on it, but I decided to give Linux Mint a try since I had seen some posts online over the years which mentioned this same laptop model working well with Mint.

I downloaded version 9 of Linux Mint (linuxmint-9-gnome-cd-i386.iso) and I am able to run that as a live cd just fine. No complaints.

However, when I do an install, it's a completely different matter.

The iso installs fine, and after installation I get to the login screen, where I enter my username and password. No problem. I enter them, there is the normal startup music sound from the speakers, and then the mouse cursor is frozen in place on the screen and I can't do anything (Synaptics touch pad built into laptop). The desktop never loads, and everything has ground to a halt.

I re-burnt the ISO to a different CDRW, tried it again, and get the same result. Live cd runs fine, installs fine, but won't ever get past the login screen, and end result is the mouse cursor locked up.

I have seen some other posts here where others have had a similar problem. Anyone have a solution?

So far all I have been able to do is install Linux Mint 3.1 instead, which seems to work fine, but no matter what I do it will not see the Broadcom 43xx wifi card built into the laptop, causing me to have to use an external Belkin USB network dongle instead. The Linux Mint 9 distro was able to see the Broadcom card right off the bat, but if I can't run it as an installed OS then I am unable to use that version.

The specs on the laptop in question are:

Dell Latitude C400
P3 1.2 ghz
1 GB ram
12.1 in. XGA TFT LCD Display @ 1024x768
Intel i830M integrated graphics chipset
Crystal 4205 audio
3c905C-TX FastEthernet adapter
Broadcom 4306 wifi card
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
krzynool

Re: Mint 9 locks up on 1st boot after install

Post by krzynool »

Hi can you try to login using Fail Safe (At the bottom of the screen during the login prompt select "Gnome Fail safe") session and post output of xorg log (Go to Control Centre and System Logs).
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

I noticed that you used a CDRW and not a CD-R. I have found that CD-RWs do not work well with burning distros. I would try a Flash Drive or a CD-R.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
kwevej

Post by kwevej »

willie42 wrote:I noticed that you used a CDRW and not a CD-R. I have found that CD-RWs do not work well with burning distros. I would try a Flash Drive or a CD-R.
That seems to be a nonsense to me.
If u verify the written data, then media type does NOT matter.
canci

Post by canci »

Hello,

Is the entire thing frozen or just mouse? Can you move your mouse just before you log in?
Can you, let's say, do ALT+F2, or anything else with the keyboard? If so, then maybe you have
the same problem as I had. Meaning that your touchpad was recognized improperly.
Can you tell us whether your keyboard works? I'll give you then instructions on how to set up
the mouse,

Return to “Beginner Questions”