What's gone wrong?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

What's gone wrong?

Post by T J Tulley »

I'll try to keep this short:
Win XP Pro installed in hda1.
Bianca was installed in hda2 - erased.
Cassandra is installed in hdb5 - boot always shows errors but succeeds.
New partitions created in hda2: / = 2GB and Linuxswap = 2GB; ~ 33 GB free space - manually selected for installation of Celena from cd burned from iso file, md5sum checked.
Celena Standard installed - everything appeared to proceed without snags. At an early stage the script says "see release notes" and that took me to a blog - I contributed at item No: 40. I didn't import anything from other places, expecting to do that later. (Too complicated to find them all! - there are Tomboy notes, Bookmarks in Firefox, Addresses and mails in Thunderbird, to say nothing of Documents, which still sit in my Windows filesystem).
At end of installation, cd still present, no offer to eject it - wouldn't eject by hand - so brought up Celena menu, Quit, Shut down - and ejected during that.

Re-boot - Grub offers same as before - no trace of Celena!

Can't find it in system anywhere - desktop screen shows sda1, with properties identifying it as Desktop configuration file (It is my Win XP). But "Computer" icon on desktop opens to show no sign of hda1, but does show a 2 GB partition in that drive (identified by drive type); properties showed this as unmounted so I have entered settings as / and ext3 with mount point sda1.

Will now re-boot to see if that retrieves the installation - I doubt it! During the installation I think mounting at sda1 was automatically selected.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

i noticed everytime with either ubuntu or mint bea or celena after install is all stalls out and no response to restart. I always had to manually press the button for shutdown. Started up again and no problem....There is an issue with the end of install and reboot.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

What's gone wrong?

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks - but restarting didn't do the trick.

I guess I'll have to repeat the Install process - perhaps it didn't actually complete, though I went through the Control Center settings and they responded appropriately. It's all an infuriating waste of time.

Grub apparently still thinks Bianca is installed, and offers that. If I select it to boot from, of course it reports not found. I deleted it. I thought Grub would update itself after such an event.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Did you check your boot order? If your PC is set to boot from the first harddisk it will always do so, no matter where else you installed GRUB. So if Bianca's GRUB is on the first disk and Celena's is on the second, then it's always the one from Bianca that will become active first.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

What's gone wrong?

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks Scorp123 - no, Celena is or should be where Bianca was! (And it's still offered but not found). That's Primary Master. Cassandra is actually in partition 1 of Primary Slave. Grub shows both Bianca and Cassandra, but not Celena.

I've just tried another installation and set the remainder of the original partition as /home - I thought the system would overflow automatically from the 2 GB allowed for / but apparently not. Therefor I got warnings that 100% of /target was used, and at 70% installed, the Install box disappeared from the screen.

Doesn't Grub get automatically revised as part of the installation?

I am now going to re-partition with the original Partition2 (39GB) set as:
/ = 2GB, System = 20 GB, Home = ~15 GB, and swap = 1 GB - hopefully that will allow full installation. For the first attempt there was ~35 GB free space of what was originally an Extended partition, and apparently the installation failed to overflow into that.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.

Return to “Beginner Questions”