Help with installing java

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
molokai

Help with installing java

Post by molokai »

After being nagged by my family to get Mint I caved and went with the flow and I have to say linux is leaps and bounds beyond vista :D! But I got slapped with the hard reality that I know nothing of computers and Mint doesn't come with everything. Now I am genuinely flummoxed by how to install java. I'm an idiot so step by step even for the most arbitrary things will be much appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Elisa

Re: Help with installing java

Post by Elisa »

Did u tried Synaptic package manager ?
Or maybe this could help:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1292390

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-bin sun-java6-plugin
cra1g321

Re: Help with installing java

Post by cra1g321 »

There is two versions of java - openJDK and sun-java-jre

i personally prefer the non open-source one as it uses less CPU in my experience.

To install it open the Synaptic Package Manager from the Mint Menu(you may be asked for password), when it loads click the Reload button so that it check for new versions of packages.
Now copy and paste sun-java into the quick-search box.
From the list of packages below it, double-click the packages sun-java-jre and sun-java-fonts. The fonts package isnt necessary but it does help java render fonts better.
Once you double-clicked them click the Apply button that is near the Reload button, the packages will then be downloaded and installed. It will display "changes have been applied" when it is done. After that you can then close the Synaptic Package Manager.

Note - When running jar files than have been downloaded from the internet, you may need to cahnge the settings of that file so that it is allowed to be open by java.
To do this simply right-click on the jar file and click “Properties” in the right-click menu. In the Properties window click on the “Permissions” tab, now click the box beside “Allow executing file as a program” so that the box has a tick inside it. If it already has a tick then dont untick it. Close the properties window by clicking the “Close” button. Now right-click again on your jar file and click “Open with Sun Java 6 Runtime”. Your jar file should successfully load.

Hope this helps :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”