Alternative to liveCD install?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Alternative to liveCD install?

Postby iplaywithfire on Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:19 pm

I'm trying to convince my sister to make the switch over to linux. All she really needs an OS for is internet browsing, email, and creating documents... So I showed her my setup of linux mint (with all the eye candy too ;) ) and she agreed to let me make the switch for her....

However, her PC isn't THAT great.... It was my PC handed down to her (it's pretty old). The liveCD hangs while I try to install it and I was just wondering if there was an alternate install cd (text-based or non-graphical) that's not so RAM intensive. If not, I think I'll just wait the few days for Ubuntu 7.10 and grab that alternate cd and install Ubuntu... (yes, yes, I know mint is based off of Ubuntu).

Given that, if I have Ubuntu installed on her comp, is there a way to "upgrade" or make all the necessary changes to change it to the mint distro?
iplaywithfire
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby merlwiz79 on Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:58 pm

You could look at this link to see if it can help you.
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ur_Live_CD
Have you tried to make a swap partition 1st then boot the Livecd?
If you don't have much RAM you could try using Cassandra XFCE CE.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby iplaywithfire on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:56 pm

merlwiz79 wrote:You could look at this link to see if it can help you.
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ur_Live_CD
Have you tried to make a swap partition 1st then boot the Livecd?
If you don't have much RAM you could try using Cassandra XFCE CE.

No I haven't tried making a swap yet... She still has windows on her comp and I was gonna let the install erase and format everything and use the entire drive for linux. So should I format it first with a swap partition? The Troubleshoot you gave (and I searched for it within the documentation of other parts too) doesn't show how to use the swap partition with the liveCD.... i know i must sound like an idiot right now....
iplaywithfire
Level 1
Level 1

Postby merlwiz79 on Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:36 am

I would only format after everything is backed up.
The livecd should automatically use the swap, as long as it was there a boot.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby iplaywithfire on Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:30 pm

merlwiz79 wrote:I would only format after everything is backed up.
The livecd should automatically use the swap, as long as it was there a boot.

I did backup everything that is needed. Really nothing except for pictures because this computer hasn't been used in a few months because of how slow windows has become...

What is the best way at partitioning? The liveCD seems to stall a lot, (that's how I partitioned my personal comp was from the liveCD). Is there a command-line way to do it so I can just partition it without a graphical interface? I just want to partition it (erase it completely) and have a swap partition so I can install mint.
iplaywithfire
Level 1
Level 1

Postby iplaywithfire on Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:31 pm

Or, do is there a program I can burn to a CD and boot from cd so I can partition it that way? Then install from the liveCd after it's partitioned...
iplaywithfire
Level 1
Level 1

Postby BlahBlah_X on Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:32 pm

Run the Gparted Partition Manager in the LiveCD (I think its in Applications-Administration-GParted)

Create a swap partition of double your RAM size, then reboot the system. The livecd should use the swap after the reboot.
BlahBlah_X
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions