Programs

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scaeascaea

Programs

Post by scaeascaea »

So, in Linux, the desktop manager is considered a program, as is a session manager. Or a 'session manager' is a collection of programs.... I'm not exactly sure what all they do, where the borders between them are, or much of anything really, but I do know that you need it to access files and such if you don't know much about command-line in-put and the actual bowels of the system.

In Mac or Windows, finding programs is fairly easy, they are usually in only one or two pieces, or at least in one or two folders, and you can (sometimes) move them about.

I am currently running two Linux distributions: Xubuntu 10.4 and Mint 9 Gnome.

Mint runs better for most things (I like having Open Office, mainly). However, I think Gnome is a little big for my little, old, HP laptop with about 800Mhz. So I am wondering if I can find the Xfce programs from Xubuntu and copy them to Mint and install them somehow. So that I can choose Xfce as a session manager. If so, I will need some, um, very complete instructions as I don't know all that much about Linux yet. I do know how to mount the Xubuntu partition from Mint (and vice versa), but that's about as far as I can go.

Alternatively, How can I copy some of the things Mint has. Like the script that allows me to play a DVD. I still suspect that I wont actually be able to watch DVDs on this computer (without them being horribly choppy) but that's a problem for later.

Thanks to anyone who can help me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LongRider

Re: Programs

Post by LongRider »

Have you looked at Mint 9 Xfce? Its supposed to be lighter on resources than Gnome or KDE.
As far as the programs go you will probably find what you are looking for in Synaptic Package Manager (Menu>Package Manager).

Return to “Beginner Questions”