help me connect the net..

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lonestern

help me connect the net..

Post by Lonestern »

I have installed Linux mint. When I boot linux in marks auto e0 of something like that is connected but I still can't use the net. I have DSL. plz help me connect my internet. I really like linux; only the net is missing. Please help me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rshaw
Level 1
Level 1

Re: help me connect the net..

Post by rshaw »

did you fill in your dsl username and password in menu > preferences >network connections > dsl ?
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Lonestern, can you tell us how your equipment is connected and what broadband you have?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Lonestern

Post by Lonestern »

hmmm i have a DSl modem. The way it's connected is that a line is broken off the telephone line, plugged into a receiver box then to a modem then my computer... That's how they do it in my country. When i boot linux it says that auto eth0 is connected but i still can't use the internet. then wen i go to edit what it has; it has nothing written in the box. Some box ask for DNS sever/id, some DHCP id/server. all are empty. I'm new to linux so i don't really know what to do...
Lonestern

Post by Lonestern »

under my modem says XAVI Technology

Model name X8124r

Mac Add.: 00-01-38-25-9A-3E
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

How would you normally login to the ISP under Windows? When you open a browser do you get a service login or are your account details setup in software? The auto eth0 message is simply saying your computer has a wired connection to the modem. If you need to supply account details, go to Control Centre then Network Connections then the DSL tab. Click Add to setup a new connection, then enter your account details on the first tab and your modem's MAC address on the Wired tab. Also click the Connect Automatically box. Save and close, this is all you should need to do. You may need to log out and back in or restart to activate the connection.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Beginner Questions”