[SOLVED] Firewall (UFW) and Windows Network Sharing problems

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Magnus101

[SOLVED] Firewall (UFW) and Windows Network Sharing problems

Post by Magnus101 »

I have had some problems with my windows network, which does not work when the firewall is enabled, evertyhing works as it is supposed to when it is disabled (with all my windows shares on my machines visible).
I tried to google things and found some help in ubuntu forums, but now it feels like I'm at a dead end

First I ignored the obvious thing, which was to allow for Samba to get through the firewall
Found out that I could do a "sudo ufw allow Samba" at the terminal.

But there were still problems when the firewall was enbled.
It could now see my workgroup (which hasn't got the default name of "workgroup"), but when accessing from nautilus, no shares are seen.
It's just empty!

When disabling the firewall again, and using nautilus and accessing a shared resource(for lack of better words), it gets mounted (as it should).
When re-enabling the firewall, I CAN access that mounted resource from Nautilus.

With the firewall enabled I also tried a couple of things in the terminal, 192.168.0.123 is the ip of one of my windows PC;s
"sudo smbclient -L //192.168.0.123" gave me a list of what was shared in that Pc

I could also access a share with "sudo smbclient //192.168.0.123/E", where E was a shared partition in the same pc.

So it works at the terminal, but not in nautilus and as a newbie I don't feel comfortable to work at the terminal (yet).
It should work anyway.
Is there something else that I should do to make things work in Nautilus, or is this a bug?

Surely this must be a very common (and probably simple) thing that a great amount of Mint users already have solved, but I just can't find any sticky or tutorial anywhere about it.
I am using LInux Mint 9 (gnome).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Firewall (UFW) and Windows Network Sharing problems

Post by altair4 »

You know it's funny but with each successive release of Ubuntu ( and therefore Mint ) samba gets more more squirrely .

After years of using the more traditional method of automounting remote shares I now use Gigolo. I added a new machine recently to the network and set up gigolo to mount one of it's shares at boot. Everything worked as it always had on my network. But I noticed something odd one day. After my initial boot I went into Nautilus to look at that machine and I got the dreaded "Failed to retrieve share list from server".

Here's what's odd. When gigolo successfully automounts it creates a remote share icon on the desktop - and yep there it was. Nautilus was telling me it cannot find any shares and gigolo already mounted one. Is there a bug in Nautilus? I'm not smart enough to answer that question but it sure does sound like it.

It doesn't happen all the time with this box but it's certainly an unusual phenomenon. There is one thing you can try even though it sounds insane. When you open Nautilus and browse and you end up with a blank screen hit the reload button ( usually about 20 times ) - all of a sudden you'll get the "running" cursor and your shares will appear. Tell me that's not a bug somewhere.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Magnus101

Post by Magnus101 »

I tried a couple of things that I discovered in "Other networking topics" (which I missed first) and some other stuff i googled.
Nothing worked.

To access my windows shares with Nautilus I have to disable the linux firewall.

Strange thing...

Have to rely on the firewall in the router.
Guess it is less of a problem than in windows that the router can't stop out/up connections (which are not on by default in UFW anyway).
CaptHilts

Post by CaptHilts »

Magnus101 wrote:I tried a couple of things that I discovered in "Other networking topics" (which I missed first) and some other stuff i googled.
Nothing worked.

Strange thing...

Guess it is less of a problem than in windows that the router can't stop out/up connections (which are not on by default in UFW anyway).
not sure if it's gonna help but try this in the terminal of your linux box:

- sudo ufw allow from any app Samba to "yourlinuxboxIP"
Magnus101

Post by Magnus101 »

CaptHilts wrote:
Magnus101 wrote:I tried a couple of things that I discovered in "Other networking topics" (which I missed first) and some other stuff i googled.
Nothing worked.

Strange thing...

not sure if it's gonna help but try this in the terminal of your linux box:

- sudo ufw allow from any app Samba to "yourlinuxboxIP"
Great!
That actually worked!!!!!!!
I have attached a Screenshot of my working firewalls settings, if it could be of any help for anybody encountering this problem:
Firewall working with Samba and Nautilus.png
Remember to substitute the 192.168.0.160 (in TO) with your own local ip-adress. (Found by ifconfig at the terminal).

A million thanks to you CaptHilts!
CaptHilts

Re: [SOLVED] Firewall (UFW) and Windows Network Sharing prob

Post by CaptHilts »

you're welcome :)

as for checking your IP address, u could also just simply right click the network icon in the notification area and under connection information everything's listed nicely ;) Then again, probably just a question of "personal (where-do-I-wanna-click) taste" :)

Cheers
Captn

Return to “Beginner Questions”