Minty Mint. SOLVED.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Raymond

Minty Mint. SOLVED.

Post by Raymond »

G'day everyone.

I am a long time user of Ubuntu and a not so long user of Mint. I used to come on this forum, but somehow lost my account so i had to create a new one today.

I have had Mint "Helena" running for a while now alongside Windows 7 and am still enjoying the Mint experience, the OS is very stable.

Recently, I heard that there is a new edition of Mint out, and I want to upgrade to it.

I know that Mint comes in various forms, but I would like to upgrade to the latest Mint that is the same kernel type as "Helena".

I *think* that "Helena" is gnome based, but as i'm not very good at Linux when it comes to the nuts and bolts of the OS, i'm not sure.

Which is the correct upgrade that I need to replace my "Helena" that is the latest edition please?

Thanks

Ray.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Minty Mint.

Post by tdockery97 »

Linux Mint 9 Isadora is at the moment the latest final release. The Main Edition is a Gnome-based system. Linux Mint 10 Release Candidate has been released, and the final release is expected later this month. Both of these systems use newer kernels than the 2.6.28 that Mint 7 used. I believe Mint 9 is the 2.6.32 and Mint 10 is the 2.6.35-22. The best thing to do is try running the live CD of one of these to see how it works with your hardware.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Thank you sir for the reply.

I will download the RC of Linux Mint 10 and run it from the CD to see what it looks like, then probably wait for the final release and install that.

Ray.
jesica

Post by jesica »

Well it also depends on what your specs are, maybe fluxbox might be better for your pc
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

jesica wrote:Well it also depends on what your specs are, maybe fluxbox might be better for your pc
Jesica,

I have no experience with Fluxbox at all. However, after downloading The RC of Mint 10 yesterday I found that I couldn't burn it to disc, I kept getting errors using both Brasero and Windows Imageburn.

So I gave up after wasting 4 CD's.

I remember that I had a similar problem once before with a Ubuntu release, but got around it by getting them to send me a CD with the OS on it.

I'm not sure what to do about this burning problem right now, I wanted to try out Mint 10 to see if I liked it, however, that currently seems like it isn't going to happen.

Anyways, thanks for the Fluxbox suggestion.

Ray.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Ray

if you have a thumb drive that would be the next available way to get er done unless you are going to spend 30 bucks on a DVD burner.

Thumb Drives work nicely
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
deleted

Post by deleted »

Remember to burn DAO. http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=D ... nce&gwp=13
and slow.. (besides checking the md5sum)
I burned a few "drink coasters" before finding this. I don't think Brasero has this option, so if I burn a drink coaster, I download k3b and use it to burn DAO. (Yes I know I can use the CLI, but why let the video card/compiz go to waste ;))

-Hinto
jesica

Post by jesica »

jip, burn it very slow and I also prefer k3b, it works great with iso files
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

I've been using Mint 10 RC since it was released and have had absolutely no trouble except the calendar placement LOL. I would highly recommend this version to anyone .
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

I have been Running RC 10 and I have not had any issues at all.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Installed K3b and slow-burned a copy of the ISO today DAO...no go.. :( ... it was DOA.

Still getting errors and got another coaster to add to the collection.

Maybe I ought to just wait for the final release.

I have no idea what is wrong, maybe I killed a chinaman in a former life ...

Anyways, it's good to hear that Mint 10 is going well.

Thanks,

Ray.
deleted

Post by deleted »

There shouldn't be any "magic" between the rc and the final release. What are some of the errors in the console during boot?
And the iso did pass the md5sum check, right?
-hinto
SMT

Post by SMT »

Hi Ray,

Being a long time user I suspect that you checked the MD5SUM on the ISO file that you downloaded?

I had an issue getting another distro's ISO to burn and was about to give up when i realized the MD5 SUM was WAYYYYYY off.

A quick deletion and re-download, and off i went burning with no problems.

Thanks

SMT
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

Just a comment . . .
Gnome , Fluxbox , KDE , are desktop types and no distro is BASED on them.
Fluxbox uses less memory, but it is not very customizable.
Gnome and KDE can be considerably customized to suit the User.
Raymond

Re: Minty Mint. SOLVED.

Post by Raymond »

Well ... I tried everything I could think of and wasted many CD's...none of my attempts were successful. I always got errors with my burning to disc.

Checked everything over and over, no go, no joy. :(

So I gave up and payed $2.00 for a install disc.

I still have no idea why it didn't work, but when the disc arrives i'll be able to see what Mint 10 looks like at last...yay!

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Ray.

Return to “Beginner Questions”