Remove Xubuntu Panel Settings?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sritzau

Remove Xubuntu Panel Settings?

Post by sritzau »

I am relatively new to Linux but have been messing around with various distros for the past year or so. I really like Mint.

I recently switched a machine from Xubuntu to Mint 8 XFCE. When I set up the machine with Xubuntu originally I had put \home on a separate partition (so that I could switch distros again if I wanted.) To switch I installed Mint 8 XFCE on the first partition and then changed my fstab (following instructions like a monkey) to point to the old \home partition with all of my files on it. Everything went fine and I was back in business in no time.

I then recreated accounts for all of my kids. For some reason, the kids' accounts all retained the Xubuntu panels. I am sure this is just one of those files somewhere, but I don't know where to begin to look. I want to set the kids up to use the regular Mint panel at the bottom of the screen. It may not be relevant, but I did set the kids up as limited users.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Robin

Re: Remove Xubuntu Panel Settings?

Post by Robin »

Yup, I do that too, because I like my panels and stuff to stay the way I set them up.

But it's easy enough to change those settings. Menu > Xfce Control Center > Desktop (in the gray area on top). Make the panel full-length, "Gnomish" like Xubuntu does by default if you like, etc. Or right-click on a panel and choose "Customize Panel."

Mine looks like a dock, actually, with just a wee bit of compositing, launchers, and my favorite li'l applets (analog clock, desktop weather, calender) on top. And I have the task bar in a second "invisible" panel (unless you "mouse over" it). Those panels are wonderfully customizable, you can just ask the kids where they want the panel, fat or skinny, long or short, invisible 'til you mouse over it or not, top bottom or sides, multiple panels, etc.

It took me all of about 45 seconds to make my panels just the way I wanted them. Your mileage may vary, of course, but changing those settings is a snap - even for a technically challenged, artsy-craftsy kid like me.

-R
Hezy

Post by Hezy »

This is exactly why I stopped using a separate partition for /home. think about it, /home contains two very different things: your data files and your system settings. While you want to keep your data files, when installing a new distro you expect to have new settings. Maybe there are some settings you've customized and want to keep, but you don't want to keep Ubuntu default settings in Mint...

The solution is simple: don't give /home it's own partition. Instead create a partition for /home/data and put your data files there. When you prepare for a new distro, backup all the settings files (you can put them in /home/data/settings_backup or in external media). Take notice that many of these files are hidden, so use ctrl-H to expose them. Install the new distro, but don't format the data partition, and make sure it is mounted in /home/data (or wherever you prefer). Start your new system, and start using it. Whenever you find that somethings acts different than you are used to, and want to go back to the old way, find the relevant setting file or folder, and copy from the backup to the home folder. It sounds like lots of work, but I find that after a few hours of using the new distro, with very short stop from time to time to copy some settings, every thing works just as I like it to.
Hezy

Post by Hezy »

I almost forgot to answer the question...

the panel settings are in:

Code: Select all

/home/username/.config/xfce4/panel
if you'll replace this folder with the same folder from a new user, you'll recover the default settings of the Xfce panel in Mint

Return to “Beginner Questions”