remove read only SOLVED

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bj218

remove read only SOLVED

Post by bj218 »

How can I remove Read Only from OOo text document?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Elisa

Re: remove read only

Post by Elisa »

If it's set by a password, you must know the password or crack it :lol:
but also it happened, when another copy of the file is already open (or damaged). Try to check if the file isn't open and you have it open in fact twice...
linmint777

Post by linmint777 »

already tried:
sudo su
chmod 777 filename
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

linmint777 wrote:...
Oh, I forgot about that :lol:
bj218

Post by bj218 »

linmint777 wrote:already tried:
sudo su
chmod 777 filename
I tried this & now I cant read the document at all. In square before the title it now has a x !!!
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

The only thing I can recommend at this point is to go into the Terminal and type:

Code: Select all

gksu nautilus
This will bring up Nautilus as root.

Then go to the document and Right Click > Properties > Permissions

Make sure that Owner, Group, and Others are set to :"Read and Write"

Then shut down Nautilus, close the terminal and see if you can access the file.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
jesica

Post by jesica »

linmint777 wrote:already tried:
sudo su
chmod 777 filename
nice and fast, probally the best way to do it

but 777 wont work, you must change it to something else, 744
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Would all of you folks who are recommending that he change permissions to 777 or 744 or in any other form that includes a 7 or even an odd number ( like 5 ) explain why you are making this file executable?

The permissions should be 666 or 644 depending on who owns the file.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Re: remove read only SOLVED

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

bj218 wrote:How can I remove Read Only from OOo text document?
Putting it in the proper context when you say an OpenOffice document is read-only, it means you can actually open the file BUT unable to edit it, and some menu items are grayed out (e.g. Format > Page). And you'll see written on the application window's title bar the words "Read Only."

This has absolutely nothing to do with changing permissions and ownership.

All the OP has to do is open the document as (s)he normally would, and just save it again under another name (File > Save As...). That should get rid of the "read only" status of the document and (s)he will be able to edit the file.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

Return to “Beginner Questions”