easy way to 'windows side by side' in mint (aerosnap)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mizh

easy way to 'windows side by side' in mint (aerosnap)

Post by Mizh »

I love the new mint 10, and would like to use it more on my laptop for school stuff...
Currently I use windows 7 a lot, and I'm totally in love with the way you can make 'windows side by side'.

For those who haven't used win7:
You can drag a window to one of the side edges and then the window automatically fits to half of the screen, and you can also drag the window to the top edge and then it will go full screen...

I am very addicted to this functionality and use it all the time, so is there any way to do the same in LM 10?
I can also accept just using some keyboard mapping for it if that is possible.. (like super-z=fill left half screen, super-x=full screen, super-c=fill right half screen) I would though prefer the drag functionality...

- Mizh

ps: I have tried looking around in compiz, but it isn't obvious to me what to activate to do this kind of stuff...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Re: easy way to 'windows side by side' in mint..

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

This feature has been a standard since Mint 9 Gnome, if I'm not mistaken. In Nautilus, click View > Extra Pane (or press the F3 shortcut key) and you'll have split Nautilus windows. Quite faster compared to how it's done with Windows 7's Explorer, isn't it? :mrgreen:

Edit: If you'd rather want this feature on any application window apart from Nautilus, you can do a google search for "aerosnap linux." There are several sites that posts in detail how it's done using compiz.

HTH. :D
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Mizh

Re: easy way to 'windows side by side' in mint..

Post by Mizh »

Thank you very much for helping me in the right direction, I didn't know it was called 'aerosnap'. It helped a lot just to know that :P... (the nautilus split might also come in handy on occasion :))
I found several pages about 'aerosnap' in linux, all of them seem to suggest the same...

This one gives the best overview of the process:
http://www.clickonf5.org/linux/use-aero ... buntu/6956

I have configured it as they suggest, and the TOP maximize edge trigger works very fine, but I can't seem to make the LEFT and RIGHT edge triggers work.. I guess it doesn't work because some other compiz setting is activated, the problem is I don't know which one, and then again I'm just guessing that is the problem....

I have also discovered an side effect to the maximize trigger. If I select a window that is not maximized, and then move the mouse to the TOP (not dragging the window), the window will maximize. I haven't decided yet whether I find this side effect being an advantage or a disadvantage...

I will be grateful for any suggestions for what to deactivate or if there is some other stuff that I can do to make this work :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”