Queue Software Center installation

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
planner

Queue Software Center installation

Post by planner »

How do I install more than one application at the same time from the Software Center. I can only install one at a time. TIA.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: Queue Software Center installation

Post by vincent »

You can specify multiple packages to be installed via apt-get, i.e. in a terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install package1 package2 package3 package#
Example:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install wesnoth-1.8 warzone2100 nexuiz crawl hedgewars tumiki-fighters
planner

Post by planner »

Thanks, but is it doable from the Software Manager, just like in Synaptic?
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

you can click menu and package manager then check mark the apps you want to install. Software manager is just easier
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

planner wrote:Thanks, but is it doable from the Software Manager, just like in Synaptic?
Not exactly like the way you do it in Synaptic. With Synaptic, you mark packages/apps FIRST before you tell it to download and install. That's why there's the illusion that you can install packages at the same time via Synaptic. But actually, it downloads all the packages first then install them one at a time. The same applies with apt-get. With Software Manager, OTOH, you search for the package/app then you have the option to install it immediately. BUT, that doesn't necessarily mean you have to wait until it finishes. While it's downloading/installing, you can search for other packages/apps and install them as well. Software Manager will put them in the download/install queue. You can repeat this process as many times as you want to install packages/apps. And AFAIK, you can even close Software Manager and it will continue downloading/installing in the background.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
planner

Post by planner »

Thanks for the explanation.

Basically, installation of multiple packages using the Software Manager involves as many clicks on the INSTALL button as the number of packages you are trying to install. Not very efficient, but at least now I understand.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

planner wrote:Basically, installation of multiple packages using the Software Manager involves as many clicks on the INSTALL button as the number of packages you are trying to install. Not very efficient, but at least now I understand.
Well, I wouldn't categorize it as not very efficient (then again, it's all a matter of perspective and opinion). We have to bear in mind that there are different ways of accomplishing the same goal and each alternative is targeted at specific audiences and methods. The reason why Software Manager was developed in the first place was to make installing software a tad more usable/user-friendly vis-a-vis Synaptic/apt-get. And this is from a newbie's standpoint, since they don't have to deal with things they don't have/need to see. Synaptic and apt-get tend to be confusing and intimidating to them, so they have a better alternative -- Software Manager.

Of course, for those of us who want finer/advance control, there's always Synaptic and apt-get.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
planner

Post by planner »

In the Software Manager, you have to authenticate for every application you want to install. So if you are installing 10 apps, you will be prompted to authenticate ten times. That's part of the "efficient" that I am referring to. If there is a way for the authenticating scheme to remember the password, I think that would help a bit.

Return to “Beginner Questions”