Out of Range (Solved!)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Chillwill

Out of Range (Solved!)

Post by Chillwill »

Hi everyone! I'm new to Linux and decided to get Linux mint a few days ago. I installed and it works fine on my laptop. However, when I put my laptop in my docking station my Ativan monitor shows an out of range message right at boot. I've tried a lot of things but nothing's worked. Is there a fix for this?
Thanks
Will
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
inktitan

Re: Out of Range

Post by inktitan »

Try adjusting the monitor resolution down to 800x600 before attaching the other monitor. Then adjust up. Assuming you are using an LCD monitor, LCDs have only set resolutions unlike CRTs that can be adjusted in analog. Find out which resolutions the Ativan supports. Also the frequency can come into play sometimes but it is rarely an issue other than it may make things a little blurry. Does the out of range happen before the OS begins to boot as in pre GRUB? Or does the OS get a chance to boot the out of range occurs?
Chillwill

Post by Chillwill »

By the way I'm using a live cd. Yes my monitor is LCD and Ativa, sorry typo. I opened my laptop up beside my monitor and ran linux mint and they both boot up the Linux Mint "Where freedom comes elegance" and as soon as all the dots turn green my monitor displays the blue Out of Range box with the H and V frequencies. While it was on a adjusted the resolution in the monitors app but to no avail. and yes when it's showing the linux logo on the ativa monitor it's very blurry, I can't read the words. I'll try to see what resolutions my monitor supports.
Chillwill

Post by Chillwill »

Fixed!! While running dual monitors I unchecked the box that showed the same image on both screens. The the monitor application recognized the laptop and the monitor. I could then select the monitor and change the resolution. It was fuzzy at first but after I turned off the laptop screen and put the computer to sleep and woke it up, bam! Thank you for your help! Hopefully this will solve someone else's problem.
inktitan

Re: Out of Range (Solved!)

Post by inktitan »

I love when things have easy fixes :D Just need to know where to look.

Return to “Beginner Questions”