how to adjust desktop?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

how to adjust desktop?

Postby chaero on Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:27 pm

Hi everyone,

I just switched to LinuxMint and the first impressions are good. I just did not find out yet where to adjust the desktop settings? I really would appreciate it if somebody would point me to it. :)
The desktop is not fully displayed in my monitor, this is a bit annoying because I can not see the close-buttons of the windows...
I know where you could change these settings in openSuse, but I did not found them in LinuxMint yet. Do you have to enable some options or such in the Xserver-preferences???
Thanks in advance.
chaero
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby BlahBlah_X on Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:39 pm

You mean you want to change the desktop resolution?

Ok.

In the MintMenu, go to Administration-"XServer-Xorg" where you can change the resolution to the correct one.

Note: If you have a certain Nvidia or ATI card, this might not work. In this case, run envy ('sudo envy' in a terminal or from the mintmenu) and install the drivers.
BlahBlah_X
Level 4
Level 4

re: how to adjust desktop?

Postby chaero on Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:50 pm

No, the resolution is correct.
Unfortunately the visible desktop starts about 20px from the left edge of the monitor, so it goes about 20px behind the right edge. So I just want to move the desktop this 20px more to the left, that it is all visible. I did not find out yet where to adjust this.
chaero
Level 1
Level 1

Postby linuxviolin on Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:19 pm

It's not the settings of your screen, in the OSD? You should be able to set the size of the image on your screen with them.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Postby chaero on Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:43 pm

probably you mean the right thing, but I don't know what you exactly mean by OSD. Please could you give me an idiot-safe celena-main-menu->admin->...-pointer? :wink:
chaero
Level 1
Level 1

Postby msgnomer on Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:41 pm

Do you have buttons on your monitor to adjust it?
Jess
msgnomer
Level 2
Level 2

Postby linuxviolin on Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:59 pm

As msgnomer says, I wanted to speak of a menu that appears on your screen with one or more buttons on your monitor. With it you can usually do different settings including image size, its position, etc. :)
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Postby chaero on Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:42 am

Yes, I know adjusting the monitor settings would be a possibility. But unfortunately, sometimes I have to still use Windows. And Windows always fits perfectly without messing around with the monitor settings. So actually I do not want to change it everytime I boot another OS.
I thought there might be an option like you have with openSuse, but I did not found it yet.
chaero
Level 1
Level 1

Postby chaero on Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:50 am

Okay maybe it's a bit more to it, than I thought at first:
With Windows and openSuse I had resolution 1024x768 and all fitted normally into the monitor. Now I have adjusted the visible desktop with the monitor settings, but still I don't see about 20px at the right side. So it is actually too big for my monitor. But why? I never had such problems with the resolution before. Could anybody give me a hint, where to look? I guess, maybe it is a common problem?
chaero
Level 1
Level 1

Postby chaero on Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:05 am

Ok, I guess I solved my silly little problem: I played around with the monitor settings and now everything is quite fine. But nevertheless, thanks for the quick answers. :)
chaero
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions