How to upgrade Adobe Flash Player?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nbob

How to upgrade Adobe Flash Player?

Post by nbob »

Hello. Does anyone know the correct procedure for upgrading Adobe Flash Player. I just installed Linux Mint Debian and noticed that my flash plugin is the old Shockwave Flash.

I've tried downloading the latest Flash Player from adobe. I unzipped it, and moved libflashplayer.so to where I thought the plugin directory was.

My main problem is that I don't know where to look for the plugin file. I tried /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins but as much as I played with the 'libflashplayer.so' file there, I could neither remove the plugin nor upgrade it. I've also tried the /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree directory but once again, I was unable to affect the plugin.

:?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Erinsfan

Re: How to upgrade Adobe Flash Player?

Post by Erinsfan »

Hello,

With Linux, it is better to install software from a repository. If you open either run or a console and type "su synaptic". Search for Flash. I think it is the non-free version you need to install. If you need more help with Synaptic, ask.

Erin
colyn

Re: How to upgrade Adobe Flash Player?

Post by colyn »

After installation you just need to type sudo apt-get update in the terminal. Once done click the update shield in the sys tray and it will list the updates then click apply. One of the updates will be flash if the current Mint version is out of date.

You don't want to install the version from adobe since it has not been tested by the Mint team developers..

Mint tests all files/updates before releasing them for update..

Return to “Beginner Questions”