A few questions on setting everything up

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

A few questions on setting everything up

Postby WiseguyY2K on Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:44 pm

I'm fairly new to the whole linux thing. I found about Linux Mint yesterday and decided to give it a shot since it was built off of ubuntu which I know has a big user base, and linux mint featured more stuff in terms of multimedia. I downloaded the latest version, Celena.

Anyways, a few things I want to take care of:
1) How do I go about importing all of my past firefox stuff from Windows into Linux mint's version. I tried FEBE but I can't seem to get that to work, I get to the point of selecting a profile but there is no profiles for me to select.

2) What is Emerald Theme, when I go into it I can see all the themes but I can't do anything with them. Could it because of the graphics card I have with my computer, a built in ATI x200. If I read right somewhere they said linux doesn't fully support ATI, is that true?

3) Is there a TV recorder, as I came from Windows Media Center and I would like to still be able to have the ability to record TV when I'm away.

4) Is there anything I should do to get a better "user experience"?

Thanks, and I'm sorry if this has been covered before.
WiseguyY2K
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby BlahBlah_X on Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:45 pm

1) If you choose to install Celena, the last step will be the migration assistant, which should let you do this.

2) Beryl is a 3D user interface for Linux (fancy 3D effects, transparency, etc...) and Emerald manages the windows in this 3D interface. So if you are not running Beryl+Emerald, then you can't change the emerald theme.

3) Try googling mythtv.

4) Linux is very customizable, so there isn't one thing I can tell you to do to make things easier.

Check out this page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CustomizeUbuntu
BlahBlah_X
Level 4
Level 4

Postby WiseguyY2K on Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:55 pm

Thanks for the help, stupid question where would I find Migration Assistant...?
WiseguyY2K
Level 1
Level 1

Postby BlahBlah_X on Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:37 pm

Its the last step when you choose to install mint onto your hard drive.
BlahBlah_X
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions