A few questions on setting everything up

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

A few questions on setting everything up

Postby WiseguyY2K on Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:44 pm

I'm fairly new to the whole linux thing. I found about Linux Mint yesterday and decided to give it a shot since it was built off of ubuntu which I know has a big user base, and linux mint featured more stuff in terms of multimedia. I downloaded the latest version, Celena.

Anyways, a few things I want to take care of:
1) How do I go about importing all of my past firefox stuff from Windows into Linux mint's version. I tried FEBE but I can't seem to get that to work, I get to the point of selecting a profile but there is no profiles for me to select.

2) What is Emerald Theme, when I go into it I can see all the themes but I can't do anything with them. Could it because of the graphics card I have with my computer, a built in ATI x200. If I read right somewhere they said linux doesn't fully support ATI, is that true?

3) Is there a TV recorder, as I came from Windows Media Center and I would like to still be able to have the ability to record TV when I'm away.

4) Is there anything I should do to get a better "user experience"?

Thanks, and I'm sorry if this has been covered before.
WiseguyY2K
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby BlahBlah_X on Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:45 pm

1) If you choose to install Celena, the last step will be the migration assistant, which should let you do this.

2) Beryl is a 3D user interface for Linux (fancy 3D effects, transparency, etc...) and Emerald manages the windows in this 3D interface. So if you are not running Beryl+Emerald, then you can't change the emerald theme.

3) Try googling mythtv.

4) Linux is very customizable, so there isn't one thing I can tell you to do to make things easier.

Check out this page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CustomizeUbuntu
BlahBlah_X
Level 4
Level 4

Postby WiseguyY2K on Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:55 pm

Thanks for the help, stupid question where would I find Migration Assistant...?
WiseguyY2K
Level 1
Level 1

Postby BlahBlah_X on Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:37 pm

Its the last step when you choose to install mint onto your hard drive.
BlahBlah_X
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions