SOLVED Mint 10 questio about login

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
garrydb

SOLVED Mint 10 questio about login

Post by garrydb »

Hi guys, I am an old man 75years. I have been using computers since the old TI that used the tv for a screen. I Used Windows from Dos to WinXP. I have used Linux for the past 12 or so years.. Now my question is, since I own my computer. live alone. nobody around to screw with it.. Why can't I run Mint 10 as root. These damned obnoxious sign in for this and that and constant, almost, use of the console, which I hate, may stop me from using Linux... I love Mint 10, but if there is no way to change this "privilege" problem, then it will be goodbye.. Thanks Garry
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint 10 questio about login

Post by Silent Warrior »

It's actually possibly to log in as root, but through the terminal. Logging in as root through GDM/KDM is likely a long excercise. However, this is the way Linux is designed - a security-feature. Like I said, you probably CAN get a root-login, but if something goes wrong, you will, of course, only have yourself to blame. (I don't know what that will do to the 'apt' bash-alias or menu-shortcuts calling 'sudo <application>', though.)

Nope, I have no idea at all how to do this. Maybe it's easiest to modify the boot-scripts to exclude gdm/kdm, manually logging in as root in the terminal, and starting X from there.

Return to “Beginner Questions”