What are your top tips for a Newbie?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dave68

Re: What are your top tips for a Newbie?

Post by Dave68 »

As has already been said numerous times, "Read, Read and Read Some More".

Ask questions around the forum, but make sure you read the stickies first. There is a lot of information that will help you in the long run. They let you know what most users are looking for.

Always remember that if you have an issue, and you get it resolved:

A) Submit the steps you followed to help resolve the issue.
B) Thank the guys/ gals that helped you.
C) Make sure to go back to your original post and add (Solved) in the Subject line
D) Go further into the Forums and help someone else out.

Linux is a Community of people helping each other.

An old boss of mine had a favorite saying, "Help Me Help You". This little phrase, too me, has a lot of relevance in the Linux Community.

First and Foremost Rule?
Have Fun,
Dave
ElectricRider

Post by ElectricRider »

Are you a windows user that wants to try Mint?
If so, I have the Best Advice.
Don't believe Anything you are told! if they tell you it's easy because it has a desktop thats user friendly Don't believe it!
No version of Linux that i have tried resembles anything you have seen in Windows. It's Alien technology. Really.. The Gov made a deal with some Aliens back in 68 and hatched a plot to take over the world by tricking people to use an operating system that will fry your brains. Wait for it .... POP! - There goes another one.

The thing is you cannot think windows style with Mint or any Linux. For instance, with windows when you install a program you KNOW where you are installing it to and you know there will either be a shortcut on the desktop or a shortcut in the Start menu. With Linux, you can look for days and still not find that file (depending on the type of file you installed) You do get some install notes when a program installs but most of the time it doesn't tell you where it installed to or how to access it.You have to really understands the in's and out's of the system to be able to reach a level of competency you had with windows.

I am a new Mint user and this has been my experience. I have a few guides and tutorials and they are poorly written or don't contain much useful information. I will however stick with it because I happen to know for a fact Microsoft will be defeated in the up coming battle between the Multidimensional Polka Queens and the Super Intelligent Quabi Quabi's from Ursa Minor.

You just have to read A LOT and keep on truckin.
kidflash

Post by kidflash »

Dave68 wrote:As has already been said numerous times, "Read, Read and Read Some More".

Ask questions around the forum, but make sure you read the stickies first. There is a lot of information that will help you in the long run. They let you know what most users are looking for.

Always remember that if you have an issue, and you get it resolved:

A) Submit the steps you followed to help resolve the issue.
B) Thank the guys/ gals that helped you.
C) Make sure to go back to your original post and add (Solved) in the Subject line
D) Go further into the Forums and help someone else out.

Linux is a Community of people helping each other.

An old boss of mine had a favorite saying, "Help Me Help You". This little phrase, too me, has a lot of relevance in the Linux Community.

First and Foremost Rule?
Have Fun,
Dave
this is the reason i love the Linux Mint group.
you guys are the best for help and talking about tech stuff.

:wink:
Tony.B

Post by Tony.B »

Enjoy your new Operating System, and enjoy the camaraderie of the Linux Mint Forums.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

vardomescro wrote:It's a whole nother world with Linux. As such, fully expect to go through all the stages of culture shock.
Took the words right off my keyboard :D

Here's my tip:

While you're learning, you'll encounter the command line. Don't forget that you can copy/paste by simply highlighting with your mouse (copy) then clicking the middle button/scroll wheel (paste).

Before you do any command line stuff, set up a text file with everything you want to do, then copy/paste from that text file into the terminal.

For example, you'll see instructions like

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i file.ape output.wav
where file.ape and output.wav are just placeholders for music files on your hard drive. You'll have to put in the real names of the files, and if you want the .wav in a different directory, you'll have to put that info in too.

So in a text file, type ffmpeg -i mozart_piano_sonata_k450.ape /home/myusername/wavefiles/mozart_piano_sonata_k450.wav. Proofread it, then just copy/paste into the terminal.
Mint17 KDE
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

Remember that it's Linux not Windows. If you have Mac experience (in the CLI) it may help.

Remember that manpages and Google is your friend. If in crisis, use them. As well, post on the forums. People like Fred and Clem and a plethora of others will gladly help you, even send them a PM if you're having troubles.

Remember that because it's Linux, there's always a way to break something---but on the reverse side, there is always a way to fix it to (sans rm -rf /)

And remember: It's a large learning curve.

Read this and you will gain a lot of insight:

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
acein1

Post by acein1 »

if you try a program and then decide you dont want/need it,dont do what i did
i marked it for complete removal,and it took a lot of other stuff with it,so i had to reinstall "mint"
i think what i sould have done was "mark for removal" intead of "complete removal"
i may be wrong on this, so i hope someone more experienced will offer their advice thanks
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

acein1 wrote:if you try a program and then decide you dont want/need it,dont do what i did
i marked it for complete removall,and it took a lot of other stuff with it,so i had to reinstall "mint"
i think what i sould have done was "mark for removal" intead of "complete removal"
i may be wrong on this, so i hope someone more experienced will offer their advice thanks
Usually, complete remova just means it'll get rid of the configuration files in your /home directory. If more got removed, it was probably libraries, but I don't know how that could have happened without some warning. I'll assume you did this through Synaptic. If so, Synaptic always tells you what it's about to do, but you have to look for the info--click details.

Actually, a good newbie tip is to always read the messages you get, and when they don't make sense, google them.
Mint17 KDE
Penguinclaw

Post by Penguinclaw »

My tip is to maybe first use linux on a non critical machine. You can then experiment to your hearts content, with the knowledge that it doesn't matter.... you can still manage your bank account etc. By saying this I'm not implying linux is somehow unstable etc, just you may feel safer in this environment and more inclined to explore your new OS fully.

Of course you could dual boot with your old OS; not so difficult these days as the installers tend to do everything for you (you can read the forum first). This way you have the safety net of what you're familiar with. Oh and as for the banking situation I mentioned above.... using a linux "live" distro is a great way to bank for security reasons as the cd is read only! Take it with you and use it on any computer that alows you to boot from the cd-drive.

I have installed linux on many of my friends and families pc's and they love it. I tend to cherry pick the distro for the machine (quite often aging hardware that windows says skip as in chuck in a!)..... when I've got it all up and running and explain the linux way, they are blown away with the simplicity and take to it like a duck to water. Okay, as most are really not computer literate, I sometimes need to advise, but nowhere near as I do under windows etc... and I guess by looking here you must have at least the basic computer skills..... it will be far easier than you expect; just try to forget that other way of living and your eyes will be opened! :D
kentboylinux

Post by kentboylinux »

Hi good question, I'm a so called newbie myself and i used to dual boot Linux with Windows but after my great AMD build (which only has W7) my other pc is only used for all Linux.
I think this is the best way to go with out the worry of messing up W7, i found i learnt more in this way, yes do lots of reading but hands on mucking about with all the different Linux versions on offer has helped me learn more.
I love the freedom of Linux compared to Windows and will always spread the word to my Windows mates of how easy Linux has become.
Ian
allypink

Post by allypink »

ElectricRider wrote:Are you a windows user that wants to try Mint?
If so, I have the Best Advice.
Don't believe Anything you are told! if they tell you it's easy because it has a desktop thats user friendly Don't believe it!
No version of Linux that i have tried resembles anything you have seen in Windows. It's Alien technology. Really.. The Gov made a deal with some Aliens back in 68 and hatched a plot to take over the world by tricking people to use an operating system that will fry your brains. Wait for it .... POP! - There goes another one.

The thing is you cannot think windows style with Mint or any Linux. For instance, with windows when you install a program you KNOW where you are installing it to and you know there will either be a shortcut on the desktop or a shortcut in the Start menu. With Linux, you can look for days and still not find that file (depending on the type of file you installed) You do get some install notes when a program installs but most of the time it doesn't tell you where it installed to or how to access it.You have to really understands the in's and out's of the system to be able to reach a level of competency you had with windows.

I am a new Mint user and this has been my experience. I have a few guides and tutorials and they are poorly written or don't contain much useful information. I will however stick with it because I happen to know for a fact Microsoft will be defeated in the up coming battle between the Multidimensional Polka Queens and the Super Intelligent Quabi Quabi's from Ursa Minor.

You just have to read A LOT and keep on truckin.
Hey fella. Highlight the programme in synaptic and select properties and then installed files. All there for you to see. :)
Agent Twelve

Post by Agent Twelve »

As a newbie, I found these articles exceptionally helpful and insightful:

1. Understanding Linux Lingo – Some Common Linux Terms - http://tinyurl.com/oj4z7r

2. 10 Basic Linux Questions, Answered – The Easy Way - http://tinyurl.com/2b4kxpx

For the process of learning Linux, here is a website that I have turned to - Lowfat Linux - http://tinyurl.com/2be9ztt

P.S. Also, if you are still not persuaded about Linux vs. Windows, look at this article - http://tinyurl.com/2d9kdy4.

Hope this helps. :D
linuxfanatik

Post by linuxfanatik »

I am 'new' here on this forum, but I used to use SUSE Linux 6.1 and 8.2 Professional (before Novell took it over) and then started with Ubuntu 6.4 when it was featured in a magazine - I had been there ever since until now. Hopefully, I am here for good.

Now to your question... Linux Mint (Gnome) is the easiest OS (Operating System) to use - by easiest, I say the word cautiously here as no Operating System is truly 'easy' to come to terms with, whether you are using a shell-script out of Linux or using Basic Script in a M/soft environment - and KDE Mint should be left to more advanced geeks - so I suggest you start with the Gnome version of Mint and work outwards as you get more used to Linux... I used to work with Unix in 1970 (oh that was an ego-leveler) :P in a business/development area (regarding Plessey Ltd) following NASA's deployment of the Gemini Systems in which Servo mechanisms and switchgear coupled with early forms of programming were used in the Gemini Project; so it was natural for me to move to Linux after a spell using m/soft from 3.1 through to Windows 7 (the latter is better than its predecessor, Vista, but as it is not Open Software it does not help people like yourselves who want to develop ideas you want to try out with M/soft like you can with the software under Linux. I have used Linux Mint Off and On together with other versions of Linux and come latterly to the decision that Mint is a better option than Ubuntu, because of its different stance and more community-based nature of development.

I'm sorry I've given you some historical notes of my earlier involvement with Linux, but I felt it was necessary in order to give you an idea where I am coming from and my (spin) on Linux Mint as a retired person rather than an up-front, geeky whiz-kid from the back-streets of Newcastle and Northumberland (I actually grew up and worked in Plessey (Liverpool) up to the age of thirty-five. :)
Jix

Post by Jix »

I still consider myself a newb but I've passed the giving up phase and I'm staying with Linux for the long haul. Advice that got me through it:

READ
There's a chance you're not the first to have gone through a similar problem, so research your problem online.

USE THE TERMINAL
Learn how to use it because 90% of the solutions to your issues will solved by pasting commands in terminal. The terminal is not there to make your life harder. It's there to make it easier. It's much easier for someone to give a command than to give instructions on what buttons to press since there are countless distros and each one has a different layout.

EXPERIMENT
Be prepared to try new things and be prepared to reinstall often.

UNDERSTAND THAT LINUX USES GRUB
Not sure what a GRUB is, and why Linux needs it, but it's important. Once you install Linux, it replaces whatever GRUB Windows used, and it's hard to bring things back to the way they were without pulling some of your hair out. When you lose GRUB bad things happen. Reinstalling Linux restores GRUB. Reinstalling Win 7 removes the Linux GRUB and restores Windows' GRUB alternative - it's the best way to avoid ripping your hair out.

BACKUP
Backup your Linux and Windows partitions. You WILL mess up the GRUB. Once it's messed up, you can lose everything on your Hard Disk.

WRITE THINGS DOWN
I've decided to write down how to execute important procedures. It saves me time and helps in the learning process.

Here's what I've written down so far (stuff I've had to deal with, and I wanted a flashy Linux with all the graphical cool stuff, so this will probably not apply to other newbs):
FIXING OVERHEATING
Add the following to /etc/modules file:

cpudyn
cpufreq_powersave
battery
ac
processor
thermal
acpi-cpufreq

Note: Try using cpufreqd if cpudyn doesn't work

In terminal:
sudo apt-get install cpufrequtils
cpufreq-info
sudo cpufreq-set -d 1000000
sudo cpufreq-set -u 1000000

CPU HEAT SENSOR SCREENLETS
Before adding heat-sensing screenlet, add the following commands:
sudo apt-get install lm-sensors
sudo sensors-detect

FIXING EXTRENAL DRIVE BOOT PROBLEM ON STARTUP
- Right-click and open file as Admin: root/etc/fstab
- Delete the extra Trekstor (my HDD) info that is launching (from #Entry to before next #Entry, about 3-4 lines)
- Save, close, reboot

PACKAGES TO INSTALL FOR BERYL/EMERALD LOOK
- gnomenu (add ppa:gnomenu-team/ppa in synaptics > settings > repositories > other software > add
- ntfs-config
- compiz-fusion-icon
- Emerald

MAC DOCKY THING:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:docky-core/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install docky

To update Docky, if you installed Docky as a package from either the official repositories or one of our PPAs, run:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

APPLICATIONS TO INSTALL
- K3B
- Audacious
- VLC
- Ktorrent
- Wine

ADDING SYSTEM SOUNDS
/usr/share/sounds/LinuxMint
Open folder as root and put new folders there

PHOTOSHOP ERROR
Open in Gnome Menu, not Menu

Install:
wget http://kegel.com/wine/winetricks
sh winetricks corefonts vcrun6
libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by libssd »

RTFM was at the top of my list, but almost everybody has already emphasized that.

Install software that will give you a restorable backup, then make a back up. I like Remastersys, but it doesn't really matter what you use, as long as you can restore your system to its exact state as of your last backup. Knowing this, you can feel free to be much more adventurous. :mrgreen:
Pranaone

Post by Pranaone »

I've learnt my lesson after breaking my system. Now I read documentations of everytime before installing an new app.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Take the time to learn the command line. YouTube is a great place to learn it.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

I am sure THIS place is much greater to learn the most of Linux :evil: :D

Also install CLI companion which could speed up your knowledge about command line but after a time leave it due u can get lazy to type (and then of course remember well) commands by your hand... :wink: :idea:
happymcc

Post by happymcc »

Always use a torrent to download your installation disk .
I had more problems and prejudices because I was doing direct downlaod's and not getting a good copy .
MerelyJim

Post by MerelyJim »

Make a list of your hardware on the Windows side before you install...

-start
-computer
-[right click]
-properties
-device manager

This way, if there's a problem with incomparability (wifi chipset, graphics, etc.) you know what you're talking about.

oh, yeah:

BACK-UP YOUR DATA!!!

Return to “Beginner Questions”