What are your top tips for a Newbie?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mehimu

Re: What are your top tips for a Newbie?

Post by mehimu »

Well, there are so many tips you may found in this forum, Just keep browsing here. Hope that this may help you and enrich your knowledge. Thank you
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

The Debian Handbook
http://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/

Learning The Shell & Writing Shell Scripts
http://linuxcommand.org/index.php
Bash Guide and FAQ
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/

Linux Foundation Online Course
https://www.edx.org/course/introduction ... -lfs101x-2

Usergroups and magazines were mentioned. Linux Journal is online only. Linux Magazine has a print version, as well as Linux Format. Visit a brick and mortar bookstore and check their Linux items. Don't forget your local library, community college, or University. There are also LinuxFests held in many locations.

Manual pages:
* Searches short description and produces list: man -k some_topic
* Chose a format to read:
** View as text with a pager: man topic
** Create PDF doc from man: man -t topic | ps2pdf - topic.pdf
** Create HTML doc from man: man --html=your_browser topic
** Create TEXT doc from man: man topic | col -b | your_editor
** man pages are online in lots of places: http://linux.die.net/man/

Program help:
===> type -a the_command (the command is actually "type")
If the output comes back as a shell builtin or keyword
then ===> help the_command (just help gives you a reference sheet)
else ===> the_command --help or -h

Go to the main menu/Application Laucher and look for a Help menu or search for Help.

In a GUI application, click the menu Help and see if there is additional documentation.

Package documenation:
There might be additional documentation in: /usr/share/doc/package_name

Search google for the application's home page. Usually have additional documentation, FAQ, and wiki.
thobin

Post by thobin »

A good list of terminal commands and simple explanation of what they do and when you should use them?

Biggest problem I run into is not having all the acronyms explained, people rattle off a list of Linux acronyms and don't enplane what there are or what they mean and where you can find said file.

I'm an old windows user and I don't understand the Linux lingo, so a better explanation of what, when, where, and why will go a long way in helping the noob. My biggest complaint is when we get tech help the terminology used flies right over your head.

It's not just Linux users that do this I have found it in all new areas of study, explanation of the lingo is often overlooked.

TA
jeflikesmint

Post by jeflikesmint »

I'm new to Linux, but feel I've done fine. My tip(as suggested by another poster) READ. I have failed by not reading about hardware misgivings, Nvidia inparticular!
My success started after I put an ISO OS image on a flash drive. This is really the most effective and fastest way to install your chosen OS. Fedora went on my junky e machine el1333g , Ubuntu on an AMD HP pavillion and mint 17 on a dell 1545 inspiron! I know these(computers) all have issue's(that I easily overcame, sort of!) I'm only listing the OS w the unit's for reference for people looking for the functional match. These boot up with no command prompting for solutions. I tried with great effort to mint up everything, but these worked easily. Consideration before you buy a new machine, buy good reliable hardware, good stuff will last for years and mesch nicely with Linux. Being plugged in to a internet connection, setting your boot order correctly( and resetting it on restart) and observing an OS install PDF, chances should be on your side. No luck needed! Mint 17.1 is very nice, but look at all the Mint models, there is something for all. One other thing. I got here because after many crappy OS's, it occured to me that the "windows" thing is loosing battle, you buy and it, and it's outdated and fails! In all my years of reporting issue's to MS, I never got a solution message back( I thought I was paticipating!) Make your donations to the Linux project you favor, and help the Helpers. Smash on, and spread the word, Linux is here! JS
mehimu

Post by mehimu »

So many tips, keeps visiting
ingeva
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ingeva »

jeflikesmint wrote:I'm new to Linux, but feel I've done fine. My tip(as suggested by another poster) READ. I have failed by not reading about hardware misgivings, Nvidia inparticular!
So true. I've been using Mint since version 13, because the Canonical (Ubunti) people demonstrated a bad attitude. Mint has been a blessing. I use MATE because it gives me the wonderful panels for scheduling one-click programs without taking more than a small fractions of background/desktop space. I use three panels. MS Windows ditched the most sensible panel system with W7. Windows is an idiot system for people who don't want to know how use their time and money efficiently.
Nothing is perfect; neither is Linux, and neither is Linux Mint. But whoever finds something better than the latter is welcome to send me a message!

I have left PayPal, which supports NSA. For the MINT people: If you want a regular monthly contribution, tell me how to contribute using my own bank account! You WILL get a monthly contribution again!
Mint rules! (20.1 MATE) Cinnamon go home! :)
deleted

Post by deleted »

Make it your primary OS.
-Z
toonKev

Post by toonKev »

Zumwalt wrote:Make it your primary OS.
-Z
Already done that :)
No more WIndows for me!!
NChewie

Post by NChewie »

TIp:= same as with any operating system, back up your data regularly to removable/remote storage and TEST the restore

Make sure you keep a record of any additional steps you took to get your system "just right" ... then you can configure/hack/reinstall without heartache :D

a big benefit of Mint is that it is so quick to install, so if you damage it beyond repair, you can re-install rather than spend time/money trying to fix it.
carking727

Post by carking727 »

Advice from another "newbie" Linux user

1) Learn your terminal - I can already see that it's power to navigate you out of trouble is awesome

Case in point: I was having difficulty removing nginx web server from my system. No more LAMP...nothing! Posted a help thread on another board. Tried some terminal commands. They failed. Microsoft teaches me that this is virus like...or to "freak out" and think so. Mea Culpa. Another user on the same thread suggested going a little further with a similar command. BAMN...not only did I whoop this stuborn installs a$$ I also felt like an empowered user. This is the first Linux problem I managed to fix all by myself thru quick research and the knowlege of those who noobed before me. The terminal is one thing I am growing to love. So remember...this is not Microsoft it is Linux. The little black box is not to be feared...it has its own place on the panel because it's your best friend!!! No doubt!

2) Make Mistakes! - No matter what people tell you...you will aproach this as if it is a Microsoft system. (or Mac or whatever)

You will go with what you know, and be a little frustrated at first. This is OK. You're actually beginning to learn. Download a couple games thru the software manager. Get used to the tools provided while making it seem less foreign to you. Connecting familiarity to your new system is the easiest way to overcome the fears of a new challenge and to trust the new tools at your disposal.

The first time you DON'T have to log in and post a thread to solve a problem you will start to feel like a real Linux user. Using Linux you will start to feel like a real computer user as some things aren't spoon feed to you the same way your old mass commercialized OS probably did.

3) Read or watch youtube vids about getting started with your new system.

This will give you a bit of a tour of your new "home" and perhaps even some advice to avoid the same initial errors that many users make when first encountering and attempting to use their new Linux.

4) Remember that it is open source

It cost you nothing - BUT has exponential value and power. A rare win in life indeed sir/ma'am!
Meaning: It may (depending on distro) have a couple quirks or incompatibilities that specifically frustrate you or your segment of the Linux user base. But the distros are usually
well maintained by an active development community commited to solving problems as they occur. Besides, Windows historically ships with a miriad of problems in every release anyway...and you PAY for the PRIVILAGE of that.

Finally, as open source gains recognition and respect by leaps and bounds in the business community and Linux desktop usership grows steadily it would only take an influx of stand alone programs and apps to put Linux on a more even footing with big bad MS. Any market conditions that would make OEM's reconsider the value of their relationship
with Microsoft could impact the way you compute making Linux a more attractive option if the King of OS's was ever dethroned.

Case in point: Win XP hasn't been supported in a year. This old but reliable OS is most noted for being a mainstay of American businesses from coast to coast. Win 10's "free" release is nothing but a ploy to recapture the desktop market share that has been bleeding off due to security minded business owners for over a year. If Linux had sales teams this would be a moment to take a crack at both the OEM and the public markets. Microsoft is trying hard to down play the reality of this manuever by bedaziling users with newer features and a temporary break in their ordinary (and well noted) money grubbing business tactics.

Bottomline: You're on the right track! Learning this new (to you) technology is your golden ticket to a chocolate factory called Freedom. Free of care of what Microsoft does or doesn't do with their product line cause Linux has it's own equivilants that are just as useful. Never trust a system that has held a near global monopoly on the mainstream market for this long...they're due for a tumble someday. For you, the only difference is...will you be one of the ones that screams and cries when Microsoft is no longer there for you...or one of the ones who shrugs and updates their resume to reflect "Linux experience" Cause that's what it is...when leaving the spoon fed MS world...Linux slowly becomes more than just an OS...it's an experience.

Thank you.
patton517

Post by patton517 »

When you run into a problem, DON'T GIVE UP! Honestly, just be patient. There are so many intelligent people out there that are having the same problem. A solution will be found. Periodically, run a search and, damn, if somebody hasn't figured out your issue. Then, TAKE NOTES AND BOOKMARK THOSE PAGES. You may need them again in the future. In fact, take a lot of notes. I'm old and don't remember crap. Take notes.

Linux Mint is great. Use it. Have fun with it. Customize it. It's awesome.
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 »

Already many people wrote before me: to read, to ask to try. In my opinion Linux Mint is the best choice of many desktop distribution to learn how to self install, configure, use it.
curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by curtvaughan »

You are reading this forum so you most likely are running some flavor of Mint. Congratulations! So that you don't get your toes stepped on or ego deflated, before posting for help in a forum, 1) do as much as you can to find solutions to your problems via google and faq's and 2) accurately describe the problem and its symptoms if you post to a forum for help.

Also, get at least a surface familiarity with other Linux distros and be aware that some are less newbie friendly than others, both from a software perspective and politically. Posting an unthoughtout question on the Mint forums will be much less deflating than posting such a question on, oh, let's say a Debian forum. Some distros such as Debian, Archlinux, Gentoo, and Slackware are much more geared toward linux developers and administrators, and are far less friendly with new end users. Peruse some of their forums as a guest just to get familiar with the Linux social/technical world.

One last: remember that experts on the Linux forums are not being paid to answer your questions. Treat them with the respect they deserve in devoting their time to help you out.
Move from rim to hub: know the wheel.

zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 »

curtvaughan wrote:You are reading this forum so you most likely are running some flavor of Mint. Congratulations! So that you don't get your toes stepped on or ego deflated, before posting for help in a forum, 1) do as much as you can to find solutions to your problems via google and faq's and 2) accurately describe the problem and its symptoms if you post to a forum for help.

Also, get at least a surface familiarity with other Linux distros and be aware that some are less newbie friendly than others, both from a software perspective and politically. Posting an unthoughtout question on the Mint forums will be much less deflating than posting such a question on, oh, let's say a Debian forum. Some distros such as Debian, Archlinux, Gentoo, and Slackware are much more geared toward linux developers and administrators, and are far less friendly with new end users. Peruse some of their forums as a guest just to get familiar with the Linux social/technical world.

One last: remember that experts on the Linux forums are not being paid to answer your questions. Treat them with the respect they deserve in devoting their time to help you out.
It is a correct summary.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

FCh3n wrote:Use the software manager to install new packages.
(or,

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install [i]program[/i]
in terminal)

Use this site (Do only the FIRST 10 ACTIONS!)

Mint(Cinnamon)(17.1): https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... amon-first

Mint(XFCE)(17.1): https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/8

Mint(MATE)(17.1): https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... mate-first
Those links lead to some really quite terrible advice.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

InkKnife wrote:
FCh3n wrote:Use the software manager to install new packages.
(or,

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install [i]program[/i]
in terminal)

Use this site (Do only the FIRST 10 ACTIONS!)

Mint(Cinnamon)(17.1): https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... amon-first

Mint(XFCE)(17.1): https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/8

Mint(MATE)(17.1): https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... mate-first
Those links lead to some really quite terrible advice.
Would you care to explain that? I happen to be the author of that advice, and I'm always open for constructive criticism which might enable me to improve my how-to's. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

My free advice for "What are your top tips for a Newbie?" is to install two OS's, one to use and one to break and fix.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

My free advice to newbies.

1 - Be as specific as possible in your forum requests for help. After all, what you post here is all anyone has to go on. Something as simple as calling a DVD a CD is one example. Know exactly your Mint install by name,version, desktop, 32 or 64 Bit etc. You have to be very careful when choosing your words. inxi -Fxz in console seems to be very helpful.

2 - Visit the forum daily. Read all the new messages even if they do not relate to any problems you might be having. You will pick up many good pieces of advice and may solve many of your problems in the process.

3 - Plan for recovering data first. Create a backup system and stick to it. (Even before you install Mint.)

4 - Plan your data migration to Mint.

5 - Have fun. If you want to try something new, back up your system and try it.

Cheers

Jim

P.S. Read!
coolmark1995

Post by coolmark1995 »

Welcome to the linux side Buckle up for the wild ride of your life trust me you will learn to love linux just like I did its a great feeling :3
arunarmstrong

Post by arunarmstrong »

LongRider wrote:
tdockery97 wrote:Only 3 tips: Read, read, and read more.
+1 There is plenty of info already out there. Search the forums here and google, the question you want to ask may have already been answered. Also, read the stickie posts at the top of the main page of "Newbie Questions". They usually have answers to most of your basic questions.
also use mints irc network. google spotchat and you should find it first one. either use spotchats website to connect or mibbit

Return to “Beginner Questions”