Getting Virtual Box to see hard drives

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robins80
Level 3
Level 3

Getting Virtual Box to see hard drives

Post by robins80 »

I have Windows 7 installed on VirtualBox on my Mint laptop. Is it possible for the OS on the virtual box to access the laptop's hard drive?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Getting Virtual Box to see hard drives

Post by Roken »

In the configuration for your VM, add your HD as a shared drive. When you boot to your Win 7 VM you'll find the drive under Network.

If you want it mounted permanently, simply map network drive in the Windows VM.

S
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
robins80
Level 3
Level 3

Post by robins80 »

Roken wrote:In the configuration for your VM, add your HD as a shared drive. When you boot to your Win 7 VM you'll find the drive under Network.

If you want it mounted permanently, simply map network drive in the Windows VM.

S
I go to settings -> storage and try to add a drive, but the only thing it wants to add is the .vdi file. I don't see an option to add an actual hard drive. There is an option to add a shared folder. Is this what I want?

I added my home folder as a shared folder and everything seems good so far.
robins80
Level 3
Level 3

Post by robins80 »

Thanks. I wound up doing that and it works great.

Return to “Beginner Questions”