Sending files as email with right clicking fails in mint 10

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LA5LIA

Sending files as email with right clicking fails in mint 10

Post by LA5LIA »

Has anyone tried to send a file to an email recipient by right clicking on it in the home folder? It opens the thunderbird, but fail when i try to send it.

Error is like this:

Sending of message failed.
Unable to open the temporary file /home/mint/Downloads/test%20bilde.jpeg. Check your 'Temporary Directory' setting.

File I tried to send was named test bilde.jpeg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mads

Re: Sending files as email with right clicking fails in mint

Post by mads »

Hi.
Are you trying to do this when logged in using a live cd/dvd?
LA5LIA

Post by LA5LIA »

No.
I have tried both ways. I discovered it using my Norwegian language mint 10 .
I tried it with the live cd in English to see if it had the same issue, and it did.

U try it yourself and see what happens.
mads

Post by mads »

I am using Mint Debian Edition, and I just sent a picture by right-clicking - Send To... - Send as - Email. It worked (with Thunderbird).
I don't know about Mint 10, but try to change the name from "test bilde.jpeg" to "test_bilde.jpeg" and see what happens.
LA5LIA

Post by LA5LIA »

After further investigation it turn out to be a problem with the file name. If the filename contains spaces or other characters than 0-9 or a-z , it will fail.
mads

Post by mads »

mads wrote:...but try to change the name from "test bilde.jpeg" to "test_bilde.jpeg" and see what happens.
LA5LIA wrote:After further investigation it turn out to be a problem with the file name...
You're welcome, and please add [Solved] to the topic title. :)
LA5LIA

Post by LA5LIA »

I would still call it a bug, and have reported it as one in launchpad.
mads

Post by mads »

LA5LIA wrote:I would still call it a bug, and have reported it as one in launchpad.
You are making this sound like it is my fault. I just tried to help. :)
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

mads wrote:You are making this sound like it is my fault. I just tried to help. :)
:lol: { veldig morsomt, men gode tilbud }
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

LA5LIA wrote:I would still call it a bug, and have reported it as one in launchpad.
:lol:
I do suppose, Linux newcomers rather could leave some windows customs, bad customs like: giving spaces to names.
Better is give the "_" instead spaces or "-" :wink:

Return to “Beginner Questions”