No USB whatsoever!???

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Spottydog

No USB whatsoever!???

Post by Spottydog »

Hi - I have installed linux mint 10 on my dell inspiron 6000. I cannot get any of the usb ports to be seen. I've opened disk manager (I think that's what its called) and tried inserting a usb stick - nothing happens whatsoever. It's almost as though there is no usb port there as far as the laptop is concerned.

Can anyone please help - I am a total newbie and have NO idea what to do. I've read lots of other posts about trying to mount usbs, etc., but my computer doesn't even seem to register that there is a usb port present available for plugging into.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sgosnell

Re: No USB whatsoever!???

Post by sgosnell »

Not automounting drives is not the same thing as not recognizing USB ports.

This thread discusses the problem, but I'm not sure if it will help you. Apparently having autologin enabled prevents the automounting. If you don't have that enabled, perhaps the gconf-editor suggestion will work. Googling 'automount USB drives Ubuntu' should give you lots of reading.

Return to “Beginner Questions”