Installing software

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thomasralph,fargo

Installing software

Post by thomasralph,fargo »

I have been looking for a spanish language software for Linux Mint, but have not found one. But I found one listed at SourceForge.

The only trouble is it comes in a Package ending in .rpm or tar.bz2.
I doubt I can use the version for Redhat, but how do I install The other package myself. I did download two versions of it into my download folder,
I have not uncompressed these files with archive manger yet.

What is the steps to set this up and running?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Elisa

Re: Installing software

Post by Elisa »

U can get both :lol:
1st will be needed kicked by rpm to deb converter, 2nd just extracted and compiled :wink:
mads

Post by mads »

Elisa wrote:...2nd just extracted and compiled :wink:
And the following link explains pretty much what Elisa wrote in more detail.
How to install Linux/UNIX *.tar.bz2 tarball files: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/install-tarballs/
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

mads wrote:...
Hei Mads! Takk for ytterligere informasjon :D

But I do suggest to read the compilation info in the just downloaded archive due there can be also important info if you need before compilation to install additional libs or other stuff... :wink:

Return to “Beginner Questions”