fstab addition

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Betwixt
Level 2
Level 2

fstab addition

Post by Betwixt »

I keep all my data on a separate partition which is mounted in Home. I do this by adding a line to the fstab file as advised on this forum nearly two years ago. This has allowed me to have several multi-booted installations all accessing the same data. With each 6-monthly Mint update I have had no difficulties repeating this until now.

However, I have undertaken four installations of LM10-64 (three different computers) of which only one allowed me to add the line of text to fstab. On the other three the fstab file does not respond to changes, it will not permit operation of the Enter key, or pasting in text or typing in text.

Could someone please clarify why this might be occurring and give me a solution?

Terry
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mads

Re: fstab addition

Post by mads »

Hi.
What command do you use to edit /etc/fstab?
Betwixt
Level 2
Level 2

Re: fstab addition (Problem solved)

Post by Betwixt »

Thank you for your prompt response and sorry for my delay but problem now gone.

At one time, over several installations of different variants, to open fstab I was successfully using:
gksu gedit /etc/fstab/

This time, using this instruction to open an editable file I was repatedly getting a window titled 'fstab (/home/terry/etc) - gedit' with a single tab on it called fstab but no text at all, just blank. It was clearly not the fstab file itself. After reading your question I tried again just to check and, inexplicably, it worked as it should have. I cannot explain or understand it.

I have since realised that I could navigate direct to the fstab file and open it as administrator to achieve the same result.

Terry
mads

Re: fstab addition (Problem solved)

Post by mads »

Betwixt wrote:... I was repeatedly getting a window titled 'fstab (/home/terry/etc) ...
Oh, thanks God that I wrote "/etc/fstab" and not "fstab". It saved us both a totally unnecessary series of posts. :lol:
Last edited by mads on Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sgosnell

Re: fstab addition

Post by sgosnell »

Here is your problem. "/home/terry/etc" is not where fstab resides. You probably were trying to open "etc/fstab" from your home folder. You have to include the initial slash, '/', to specify the fully qualified path.

Return to “Beginner Questions”