broadcom b43 wireless driver not working

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ricardezra

broadcom b43 wireless driver not working

Post by ricardezra »

i just put linux mint 9 on my dell inspiron everything works but the wireless driver does anyone have a clue with what to do i click on activate the driver but a error keep saying it does not want to work
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: broadcom b43 wireless driver not working

Post by JasonLG »

ricardezra wrote:i just put linux mint 9 on my dell inspiron everything works but the wireless driver does anyone have a clue with what to do i click on activate the driver but a error keep saying it does not want to work
The b43 driver is junk on my inspiron 1525. The STA driver is much better, I've never had any problems with it. If the STA driver is available I would uninstall the b43 driver and use it.
ricardezra

Post by ricardezra »

ok when i click hardware driver bothar avilable when i click install system error comes saying failed to fetch could not resolve it wont install either drivers
linuxnoobie

Post by linuxnoobie »

Hi everybody,

I had the same problem on my Dell M65.

I had to look on the web for the broadcom firmware and I had to use the b43-fwcutter package to extract the firmware to /lib/firmware
A quick reboot later and I then had wifi.

Hope this helps.

LinuxNoobie.

P.S.

The terminal command I used was

b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware *.o

b43-fwcutter can be downloaded from the ubuntu repositories online or via the package manager.

The firmware I got from following the info on http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

Good luck!
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

ricardezra wrote:ok when i click hardware driver bothar avilable when i click install system error comes saying failed to fetch could not resolve it wont install either drivers
You have to be connected via Ethernet to download the drivers.

Return to “Beginner Questions”