Keyboard + grub solved

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Keyboard + grub solved

Postby nicwillemse on Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:48 am

Hi guys, like the title of the forum says, im a newb here! I would just like to say thanks in advance, and to the guys from mint for a great linux distro :)

Let me get to the point........

I have a wireless keyboard and mouse, and im currently dual booting my machine, that other operating system :) and then mint :)

When grub comes up, it wont allow me to change the boot option, almost as if the keyboard is not connected ?

please help!!!!!!!!
nicwillemse
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:36 am

I have a Logitech wireless keyboard + mouse and the computer does not have a clue it's wireless
Which keyboard do you have - I don't expect it but there are issues with some.
If the keyboard is connected with USB this may be the problem. If it is check in BIOS for some settings for keyboard.
When Windows or Mint starts they take care of the connection to the keyboard, but as early on in the boot process as grub that is not the case.
it wont allow me to change the boot option

This is not clear
Can you select operating system, but not enter grub and change boot option?
This is what you write, taken literally
Or, can't you switch between Windows and Mint
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby nicwillemse on Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:56 am

Thanks so much for responding so quickly!!!! :D really appreciate it !!!!

I cant change between windows & mint, it happens to be a usb keyboard, and i will definately have a look in the bios then.

It is a microsoft keyboard and mouse :(

do you see usb as the only probable cause ?
nicwillemse
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:18 am

Well, USB is the first thing I'd check.
What most people don't understand is that you can have "things" like a hard drive or USB disabled in BIOS but a modern operating system can still use it perfectly well
Grub is a bit odd - it's like a little operating system of it's own and I doubt it has USB support so you need to have any USB keyboard enabled in BIOS. I think any motherboard produced this century has this support
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby nicwillemse on Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:29 am

It turns out you are spot on :D

I cant thank you enough! It is ppl like you that encourage growth in open source and linux itself! Thank you so much! It really is greatly appreciated!

I have however noticed when I boot into windows with the usb option the bios enabled, the keyboard doesnt operate normaly, but i think it more a driver issue :)

Thanks so so so much again! Keep well!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
nicwillemse
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions