some programming tips

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

some programming tips

Postby tupadjia on Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:02 am

i am kinda new to linux, for the 2nd time, haha. Basically, I got tons of books and I came up with the idea to make a software to track all my books. Basically, like a library software. I just need to know which programming language would be the best for that and which program to use.

Thanks.
tupadjia
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: some programming tips

Postby scorp123 on Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:18 am

tupadjia wrote: Basically, like a library software. I just need to know which programming language would be the best for that and which program to use.
How about a web-based app? e.g. a nice PHP front-end which would work via a browser (so you could access your library records from anywhere in your network ... or maybe even from outside?) and a MySQL database back-end to keep all the records. There are some free PHP and MySQL programming tutorials out there which will teach you exactly that and it won't take you too much time here to achieve useful results. 8)

If you want a bigger challenge: Try doing the same with Java :twisted:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Husse on Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:27 am

Isn't the database in Open Office the tool you want?
Edit//This is strange - when I posted the reply the answer from scorp123 was not there, nine minutes diff....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Boo on Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:48 pm

don't reinvent the wheel
check out:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... log&t=5083

i installed it and it looks cool.
i have been too slack to enter data yet, hehe.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby tupadjia on Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:50 am

i am not really trying to reinvent the wheel, i just like making things my way from scratch. looks like php and mysql is what i am going to stick with. this way i get to be creative
tupadjia
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions