delete key gone?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

delete key gone?

Postby chaero on Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:17 am

Hi,

I've got another interesting problem: When I hit the delete key on my keyboard, I get a message box saying that it could not execute the command: rhythmbox, because it is not installed.
So, ok this is logical, because rhythmbox is not installed. But why does this appear when I press delete? How can I make the delete key do what it usually does?
The shift+numpad-delete combination works without problems.

And speaking of keys, my multimedia keys are not working. This is not surprising since my keyboard is not supported, but yesterday at least the keys for volume worked fine and today it's gone...
Both these key problems are a bit annoying because I use them quite frequently.

Does anyone has a suggestion as to where I should start to look?
chaero
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby scorp123 on Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:53 am

Did you play around with the keyboard shortcuts? Sounds very much like it ... :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby chaero on Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:55 am

At least not with the delete key. I can imagine why the nice volume control is now gone, but you can not even change the delete key assignment in the keyboard shortcut assistent.
There must be a file somewhere, where the key assignment is listed, but I don't know where to look for?
chaero
Level 1
Level 1

Postby scorp123 on Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:43 am

chaero wrote:At least not with the delete key.
You can assign the "Delete" key to the "Media Player" function. Your description that the system attempts to start 'rhythmbox' sounds very much like you did that? E.g. you tried to edit the shortcut but you realised it's not what you wanted and hit the "Delete" key, thinking that you had aborted the operation ...

Maybe it's something like this?
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby chaero on Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:47 am

Argh, exactly!
I closed the shortcut config and did not realize that it had actually used that settings. I am used to a cancel button...
Thanks, I didn't see the forest for the trees. :roll:
chaero
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions