No full screen LM10 guest in VirtualBox

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
metania

No full screen LM10 guest in VirtualBox

Post by metania »

Hello,
I just installed LM10 as a guest on Virtualbox 3.2.10 (latest version), on a PC running Windows 7 x64. I'm pretty sure I have guest additions installed since VboxGuestAdditions.iso is showing (checked off) in Devices-CD/DVD Devices. Still, in full screen mode, LM10 remains the same, surrounded by black. This makes it hard to use Firefox, etc.

Also, how can I share My Documents folder between host Win 7 and guest LM10, ie. open a .jpeg or .avi file for viewing?

Thanks so much!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
allypink

Re: No full screen LM10 guest in VirtualBox

Post by allypink »

metania wrote:Hello,
I just installed LM10 as a guest on Virtualbox 3.2.10 (latest version), on a PC running Windows 7 x64. I'm pretty sure I have guest additions installed since VboxGuestAdditions.iso is showing (checked off) in Devices-CD/DVD Devices. Still, in full screen mode, LM10 remains the same, surrounded by black. This makes it hard to use Firefox, etc.

Also, how can I share My Documents folder between host Win 7 and guest LM10, ie. open a .jpeg or .avi file for viewing?

Thanks so much!
Don't know what is going on with guest additions, but sharing folders with Virtualbox is easy. In the Virtual LM10 machine setup point to a folder/directory in Windows you wish to use as a "shared" folder. When in virtualbox use nautilus to navigate to that folder. Or use a usb key to transfer files.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

metania wrote: I'm pretty sure I have guest additions installed since VboxGuestAdditions.iso is showing (checked off) in Devices-CD/DVD Devices. Still, in full screen mode, LM10 remains the same, surrounded by black. This makes it hard to use Firefox, etc.
Sounds like you mounted it, but from there you still need to run the installation process.
Open the main menu and select Computer on the top left. From there double-click to the CD Drive icon, which should have some Virtualbox name following it. Once you get there, right-click some empty spot in the folder, and select Open in Terminal. From there run

Code: Select all

sudo sh VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run 
metania

Post by metania »

Thanks so much for a quick reply. I don't know what happened, but the next time I opened VBox and LM10, guest additions showed up as running on the desktop and I have full screen capabiities!

Now I'm still trying to figure out how to share my folder. I selected it in VBox settings and VBox shows it as being shared, but it doesn't show up in the LM10 file system. Not sure if I'm looking in the right place. I appreciate all the newbie help here! (While not a newbie to Windows, I am with Linux).
allypink

Post by allypink »

metania wrote:Thanks so much for a quick reply. I don't know what happened, but the next time I opened VBox and LM10, guest additions showed up as running on the desktop and I have full screen capabiities!

Now I'm still trying to figure out how to share my folder. I selected it in VBox settings and VBox shows it as being shared, but it doesn't show up in the LM10 file system. Not sure if I'm looking in the right place. I appreciate all the newbie help here! (While not a newbie to Windows, I am with Linux).
At work at the mo on a Windows machine so I'm not at my nix box but from memory it's mounted as a network drive.
Al
edit: of course the usb key will only work on the non ose version of Virtual box. :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”