Why does the Mint Update icon fail to load at startup ??

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Why does the Mint Update icon fail to load at startup ??

Postby MintBooter on Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:52 am

Hi all,
i have upgraded to Julia in the last couple of days, everything seems good but have noticed that the little Update icon fails to load at startup now. I have checked settings and all seems ok, I have also checked in the 'startup programs' section and it is fully enabled.

Is this an error?

Any repies much appreciated.

ps, it was appearing immediately in the taskbar/system tray at every startup in the first couple of days
MintBooter
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Why does the Mint Update icon fail to load at startup ??

Postby StanTheMan on Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:36 pm

If you go to Menu > System > Administration > Update Manager . Right-click and select " Add this to Panel " or " Add this to Desktop " .
StanTheMan
Level 5
Level 5

Postby MintBooter on Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:13 pm

No StanTheMan, that doesn't do it mate. When adding to the panel it simply appears as a shortcut on the left side of the panel next to the mint menu button alongside the few quicklaunch icons I already have there.

Adding to the desktop simply adds a shortcut right on the desktop.

I am talking about the notification icon on the right end of the panel, inside the notification area. Talking of which, i havent deleted the notification area either.
MintBooter
Level 2
Level 2

Postby tdockery97 on Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:21 pm

I can verify this problem. I have to manually start the Update Manager on every boot. It is in the Startup Applications but this still persists.

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
Registered Linux User #520972
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby det4100 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:12 am

I have also seen this problem with computers that have multi user accounts. The update manager program does not start automatically for the admin, but starts for some of the users. It doesn't happen on the single user machines.
det4100

Running Mint Debian
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Postby MintBooter on Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:17 am

det4100 wrote:I have also seen this problem with computers that have multi user accounts. The update manager program does not start automatically for the admin, but starts for some of the users. It doesn't happen on the single user machines.

Mine is a single user machine
MintBooter
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Dave Ganasson on Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:07 am

I would also like to report this exact same problem with the Mint Update notification icon. I did a fresh clean install of Mint 10 about a week ago and after the 1st day or 2 the icon stopped showing. It is useful to have this working properly as it saves you from having to manually launch mintupdate to see if there are any available updates.

I was going to start a new thread about this until I saw this one, hopefully someone who knows if this is an official bug will let us know (I have already tried doing a re-install of mintupdate but still the same problem). Or if there is any 'workaround' it would be great.
Dave Ganasson
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MintBooter on Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:33 pm

tdockery97 wrote:I can verify this problem. I have to manually start the Update Manager on every boot. It is in the Startup Applications but this still persists.

tdockery97 & Dave Ganasson, I still have this issue, the notification area is working perfectly for all other apps. I would like to ask anyone on here, is this worth reporting as a bug to the team?, and if so, where do you report a bug?, or should I just wait for more updates to come soon that might fix the problem?
MintBooter
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Dave Ganasson on Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:57 am

MintBooter wrote:
tdockery97 wrote:I can verify this problem. I have to manually start the Update Manager on every boot. It is in the Startup Applications but this still persists.

tdockery97 & Dave Ganasson, I still have this issue, the notification area is working perfectly for all other apps. I would like to ask anyone on here, is this worth reporting as a bug to the team?, and if so, where do you report a bug?, or should I just wait for more updates to come soon that might fix the problem?

I also still have the same situation.
Dave Ganasson
Level 1
Level 1

Postby reimbert on Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:19 pm

I was having the same issue - fresh install and notification area applet was in the panel but no update icon. What I noticed was when I started update manager I had to authenticate and after that the icon would appear in the panel. I went to Password and Encryption Keys and deleted the entries under the Password tab. Hope this helps...
reimbert
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MintBooter on Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:30 pm

reimbert wrote:I was having the same issue - fresh install and notification area applet was in the panel but no update icon. What I noticed was when I started update manager I had to authenticate and after that the icon would appear in the panel. I went to Password and Encryption Keys and deleted the entries under the Password tab. Hope this helps...

hi reimbert, I'm afraid I'm really not entirely sure what you mean :? I went into the 'Password and Encryption Keys' program that you mentioned (from the main mint menu) and there is only one entry in there which is 'login', I don't think I want to delete that.

I still have this issue, even after an update today of 'Mint Update' itself (I had hoped that this update might have fixed this). btw I have also seen quite a few reports on the Ubuntu forums about this type of issue, such as other notification icons behaving erratically, moving around even when 'locked to panel' etc..
MintBooter
Level 2
Level 2

Postby tdockery97 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:13 pm

One workaround that I tried, and which worked was to totally remove Mint Update from the Startup Applications. Before removing note the command that starts Mint Update. Then add it back into the Startup Applications manually. It will then start up when you boot into Mint 10, but it will ask you for the password each time you boot up. Kind of a pain, but a little shorter than going into the Menu when you want to start up Mint Update.

tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby MintBooter on Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:51 pm

tdockery97 wrote:One workaround that I tried, and which worked was to totally remove Mint Update from the Startup Applications. Before removing note the command that starts Mint Update.Then add it back into the Startup Applications manually. It will then start up when you boot into Mint 10, but it will ask you for the password each time you boot up. Kind of a pain, but a little shorter than going into the Menu when you want to start up Mint Update.

Thanks tdockery, yes I kind of tried that just by selecting 'launch at startup', I prefer to use the manual approach from the menu than have it go through the whole process, ask for password then do the search for updates all at startup before getting to a static desktop.

I can live with it the way it is I suppose, its just that it makes me think there is something broken somewhere. I am going to give the KDE version a try, see what thats like.
MintBooter
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Dave Ganasson on Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:52 am

Sadly, I still have this same minor but irritating issue. Is it only the few of us in this thread that has this issue?? if this is the case then there won't be a fix due to not enough users having the problem....... :cry:
Dave Ganasson
Level 1
Level 1

Postby randomizer on Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:19 pm

Move or remove /usr/bin/ubiquity and this will work again. Make sure you have "mintupdate-launcher" and not "mintupdate" in startup applications as well. This script checks to see if /usr/bin/live-installer and /usr/bin/ubiquity exist before running mintUpdate, and if either exists then it doesn't run. At some point an update must have either added ubiquity when it wasn't already there or this script didn't check for it initially.
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Postby HorusUK on Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:03 pm

randomizer wrote:Move or remove /usr/bin/ubiquity and this will work again. Make sure you have "mintupdate-launcher" and not "mintupdate" in startup applications as well. This script checks to see if /usr/bin/live-installer and /usr/bin/ubiquity exist before running mintUpdate, and if either exists then it doesn't run. At some point an update must have either added ubiquity when it wasn't already there or this script didn't check for it initially.

Yay! Been suffering without an update icon for ages now, but this fixed my problem. I removed Ubiquity via Synaptic, rebooted, and the update icon was in the notification are.

Thanks, Randomizer!
HorusUK
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rick2210 on Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:39 pm

randomizer wrote:Move or remove /usr/bin/ubiquity and this will work again. Make sure you have "mintupdate-launcher" and not "mintupdate" in startup applications as well. This script checks to see if /usr/bin/live-installer and /usr/bin/ubiquity exist before running mintUpdate, and if either exists then it doesn't run. At some point an update must have either added ubiquity when it wasn't already there or this script didn't check for it initially.

Checked for /usr/bin/ubiquity and /usr/bin/live-installer and neither exists. Entry in startup applications has /usr/bin/mintupdate -launcher but is still does not work correctly. When mint was first installed, there was an update icon in the system tray that would run in the background and display a number on the icon for the number of updates available. Now there is no icon and the app runs in the forground and requires root password. How do I get it back to the way it was originally, short of doing a reinstall?
rick2210
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tdockery97 on Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:49 pm

Thanks randomizer. It fixed it for me. :D

tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby MintBooter on Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:22 pm

Thanks very much randomizer, I do have ubiquity and I think it was added by and is needed for Remastersys to work (do correct me if I'm wrong), so please could you tell me where to move that ubiquity file to??, this would be much appreciated indeed. I checked to see in the start up apps and the correct 'lauancher' is enabled as you mentioned above. So I just need to know the place I can move the ubiquity file/script to.
MintBooter
Level 2
Level 2

Postby randomizer on Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:16 am

I don't think you'll need ubiquity for anything, but if you simply rename (using the "mv" command) it then everything should work fine. You can remove it as well, because you can always install it later if it's needed.
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Newbie Questions