trying to install digikam

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hazzbin

trying to install digikam

Post by Hazzbin »

I've got Linux Mint 10......digiKam is showing in my favourites bar and menu page after installing from 'package manager'
it still will not open, I did notice that it's KDE based......do I need to do/find something else to make it function

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Elisa

Re: trying to install digikam

Post by Elisa »

Some KDE apps in gnome which doesn't appear in menu, can be started in terminal, e.g.

digikam &

:idea:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/digikam
Hazzbin

Post by Hazzbin »

great Elisa got it going
could a similar process need to be done for Paintshop Pro X1
I istalled using wine.....it too will not open

many thanks for your help

Hazz
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

Wine aka winsh...t stuff look for:
/home/yours/.wine/...
It's nested there, so make a link.
Hazzbin

Post by Hazzbin »

Thanks again Elisa......but I don't understand about making a "link" I'm sorry I'm really really new at all this
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

If you cannot see them aka locate them in Menu and don't wanna move to that place, make a bookmark in Nautilus (for quicker moving to the app folder/place) or click on the app by right button and make a link to e.g. desktop so the app can be launched from desktop.
Or make a custom launcher in fact. The launcher can be nested in the Menu either.
Hazzbin

Post by Hazzbin »

Elisa, I've got Paintshop showing in the menu bar if I go into a 'right-click' and Launcher Properties

Type: Application
Name: Corel Paint etc
Command: "/home/hazzar/Templates/Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo XI.lnk"

Again I'm completely lost.......sorry

Return to “Beginner Questions”