Mint - installing grub to root

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Mint - installing grub to root

Postby rich on Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:41 pm

I'm trying a multi-boot and need to install grub to the root folder of Mint. Going to the advanced install menu is totally clueless - it shows (hd0) grayed out and no matter what I try fails --- so guys whats the correct code to put in that window to allow grub boot from the root folder? I've tried (hdo,7) - / , and everything else I can think of...Help
rich
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Boo on Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:40 pm

if your / partition is at hd0,7 the put in there /dev/sda8

but you may want to give us some more info on this multi boot system you want to setup.
putting grub on the first partition may not be needed and may not let you multiboot if you get it wrong.

so what OS's do you want to multi boot to and how many disks do you have.
what is your current OS setup? just windows? some other linux?

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby rich on Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:32 am

Hey Boo thanks
SDA might work, I'll try it this afternoon when I get home from work - I tried HDA but now that I think about it the Buntu family uses SDA.
I'm booting 9 operating systems with a grub in its own dedicated partition
1. XP
2. Zen
3. Elive
4. Sidux
5. Kanotix
6. Mepis
7. blah blah blah
Everything works great but these guys ask you 'do you want grub in the mbr or the root folder?' - so it's easy, you just click root and go on about your business
Mint, and I suspect Ubuntu in general, doesn't - if you want to put grub anywhere other than the mbr (hdo)-which is what is there to start with, you must know what to type into the window - and so far I've gotten it wrong
Anyway - cheers from West Texas

UPDATE:
sda worked just slicker than snot on a brass doorknob!
rich
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ralvy on Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:35 pm

This is a "feature" of ubiquity (the ubuntu installer), and very disappointing indeed. Most other distros ask you where you want to install grub, if not the mbr. Some are smarter, and just ask if you want to install grub to mbr or root, making it very simple. I've tried ubiquity twice now, once to install Gutsy and once to install Mint. From what I remember, the little box where you could have placed an alternative to mbr had a header called Grub Help, or something like that. Very odd. Even the old text based Debian installer was easier to understand in this regard. But then again, Mint is just inheriting this oddity from Ubuntu, I guess. This is the only thing I haven't liked so far with this distro, which is only a week old on my home Linux box. Otherwise, it's becoming one of my favorite distros ever.
ralvy
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions