gtk2, compiz, emerald, which type of themes best for Gnome?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dave Ganasson

gtk2, compiz, emerald, which type of themes best for Gnome?

Post by Dave Ganasson »

Hi,
I would like to ask anyone, what are the different type of themes for?, I can see gtk, gtk2, emerald, compiz, metacity.

I am running Mint 10 32 bit Gnome and using a gtk2 theme which seems to be working ok, but when browsing through the main theme sites like gnomelook or gnome art there are the above mentioned type of themes. I understand that my window manager is compiz so would a compiz theme be best?. Basically whats the difference between the theme types??

Thanks for any answers.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: gtk2, compiz, emerald, which type of themes best for Gno

Post by remoulder »

[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Dave Ganasson

Post by Dave Ganasson »

My question is not how to install themes, I am asking about the difference between the different types of themes. Have I lost my command of the English language or something??
unexistance

Post by unexistance »

Hi,

I'd say not much difference. But compiz / emerald are generally more beautiful then plain GTK, because it uses your system's 3d capability.

So it kind of depends on you PC specs :D

Regards,
piquat

Post by piquat »

So it doesn't matter what they're tagged, they all work (or at least most of them)?

Just that some use different components of the OS so some have the ability to look better than others?

Am I getting this right?
unexistance

Post by unexistance »

Hi,

Yes exactly :D

Regards,
d00med

Post by d00med »

Will emerald work with gtk2 instead of using metacity? How does one switch window managers with Mint 10?
guv999

Post by guv999 »

The easiest way I have found to switch window managers is to download the 'fusion-icon' package available in the software centre. This has all the options you need to change window managers. decorators and also compiz settings.
You should also download the 'Emerald' package where you can select your Emerald themes from if you do not have this installed already.
Using the Fusion Icon options it is easy to switch between Metacity and Compiz window managers as well as GTK and Emerald as Window decorators.
Emerald is a window decorator for Compiz. It is not possible to run an Emerald theme unless Compiz is your window manager, but you can use GTK themes with Compiz
I hope that this helps.
d00med

Post by d00med »

Very helpful. Thanks.

Return to “Beginner Questions”