One folder gets disappeared when i click and go inside

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
destinationinfinity

One folder gets disappeared when i click and go inside

Post by destinationinfinity »

I have this one folder which gets disappeared (and I come back to the desktop) when i click and go inside it. The folders next to it doesn't have any problem. Do you think there could be a virus in it, or is there i can do something to access its contents?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seeley

Re: One folder gets disappeared when i click and go inside

Post by seeley »

Hi destinationinfinity!
Virus - I don't believe.
I would first use the terminal / konsole - you are familiar with it?
But we first should know your distribution (Mint 8,9,10?) and desktop (Gnome, KDE,...?). Please post the output of

Code: Select all

lsb_release -rd
seeley
destinationinfinity

The output is below:

( of Venice" )
---------------------------------------
o ,__,
o (oo)____
(__) )\
kollu@kollu-laptop ~ $ lsb_release -rd
Description: Linux Mint 9 Isadora
Release: 9
kollu@kollu-laptop ~ $
destinationinfinity

And I think it is GNOME, as the default desktop is what I use (I did not change anything here...), but not sure...
seeley

Post by seeley »

Okay, is it Gnome? See the window appearing after typing:

gnome-about
But I must know too: You are familiar with terminal / konsole?
seeley
destinationinfinity

So, when I type the command gnome-about

A window appears that says "Welcome to the Gnome Desktop", Version 2.30.0, Build date - Wednesday, 31 March 2010

And I am slightly familiar with the terminal - I go there to change my resolution, and install some minor things mostly referring to step by step instructions on the Internet. But if there is a tutorial to learn basic/useful terminal commands, please do give a link - we would love to learn. But I must admit, the terminal confuses me - the DOS prompt was much easier to understand :)
seeley

Post by seeley »

Okay!
Please open a terminal and type:

pwd
(print working directory)
You should see something like

/home/yourUserName
Next:

ls -l
lists directories and files (at the end: l, not L or digit 1)
Then you must find the directory which contains your folder - maybe you already see it.
To open: (e.g. Downloads)

cd Downloads
and to see the content, again

ls -l
seeley
destinationinfinity

I am not able to go in to the folder.

The name of the folder is eip Blog related (with spaces in between) - in fact, i am not able to go in to any other folder which have spaces, from the kernel I mean! There is one more folder called 'centurion' and I am able to go in to it and list the contents! So, should I rename the folders without the spaces?
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

destinationinfinity wrote:I am not able to go in to the folder.
The name of the folder is eip Blog related (with spaces in between)
The name of the folder is eip Blog related (with spaces in between)..
You have found the problem, spaces in the file name

Rename that folder without using spaces and see if it then behaves normally for you
--if you want to keep the name similar use an underscore or dash character or even a period (eip_blog, eip-blog, eip.blog)

Linux doesn't like spaces characters in file names (of which a directory(folder) is one type of file name))
  • You can list the contents of a folder that has the space character by quoting the file name, such
    ls -l 'file name'
    --use single or double quotes, the other method is to escape the character with a back slash \, which works because Linux uses the forward slash as a directory (folder) separator
http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/weirdchars.html
Last edited by DrHu on Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seeley

Post by seeley »

That's it! If a file has spaces within the name, then there is a problem. You must rename it - in the terminal it's not possible. Start from desktop opening your home folder.
seeley

Return to “Beginner Questions”