[Solved] Enable Numlock on boot

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
peterbuyk

[Solved] Enable Numlock on boot

Post by peterbuyk »

Using Mint 10 Gnome

Is it possible to automaticly enable Numlock on boot
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Enable Numlock on boot

Post by Aging Technogeek »

What you have to do first is open Package Manager or Software Manager, search "numlockx" (without the quotes) and install it.

Then, go to Menu=>Preferences=>Startup Applications an add a launcher for numlockx like this,

First, click "Add", fill in the blanks in the "Add Startup Program" box.

Name = numlockx

Command = numlockx on

description (optional) = enable numlock at startup.
peterbuyk

Post by peterbuyk »

Have done all the above actions, with no result.

I still have to enable numlock by hand, do I need more actions to do.
itsme4401

Post by itsme4401 »

AFAIK this should be enabled in the BIOS (too).
See e.g.: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_to_have_N ... _I_boot_up If you intend to Google on it, don't forget to add Linux or Unix to the queerie.
peterbuyk

Post by peterbuyk »

Bios settings are correct

Before installing Mint 10 Gnome I tried some other distroś like Ubuntu, Pclinuxos, and some other, most of them startup the numlock on boot, so most likely there is a setting wrong, but I don know witch one.
itsme4401

Post by itsme4401 »

From the NL-Ubuntu-forum http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org/software-en- ... tisch-aan/(close to your home!) reply #4:
sudo apt-get install numlockx
gksudo gedit /etc/gdm/Init/Default
Add the following...
if [ -x /usr/bin/numlockx ]; then
/usr/bin/numlockx on
fi
Save and reboot..
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Strange, GNOME normally remembers whether it was on or off each time you reboot/shutdown. You don't normally need any additional software any more.
peterbuyk

Post by peterbuyk »

Changing the /etc/gdm/Init/Default worked, but something strange happened

When I startup the computer the numlock light on the keyboard lights up, when the computer startup Mint the light on the keyboard dissapear, however the numlock is still working, and I can used it to type in my password, when Mint 10 is started fully up the light on the keyboard is up again.

So it is possible that the numlock was already working before the last change I made in /etc/gdm/Init/Default.

Sorry for my bad English.
itsme4401

Post by itsme4401 »

Peterbuyk wrote:
When I startup the computer the numlock light on the keyboard lights up, when the computer startup Mint the light on the keyboard dissapear, however the numlock is still working, and I can used it to type in my password, when Mint 10 is started fully up the light on the keyboard is up again.
It's a complaint I read in many Googled posts! So strange but normal, I suppose.

Return to “Beginner Questions”