New PC, New Mint, No WiFi

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Viajerozz

New PC, New Mint, No WiFi

Post by Viajerozz »

Hi, I am as new as new can be, just a few hours into the Linux challenge. I am excited to try the new Linux distros as I have been a Windows user since Windows 1.0. I think this Mint KDE is a beautiful piece of work but am disappointed it is still seemingly not ready for a total newbie like me out of the package.
The problem is I have a brand new HP DM4T laptop and a fresh load of Mint KDE booted off a CD. Sad to say there is no WiFi connection and conclude it must be a driver issue or lack of driver. Forget that the webcam doesn't work, WiFi capability should be a given out of the box, yes? Anyway, the WiFi adapter is an Intel Centrino Advanced N6250 AGN card.
I know there is a little utility in the Mint package, I forget the name, that lets you load an .inf Windows driver file. However, the Intel site and many other driver sites package their drivers in executable .exe packages, so good luck finding any .inf files to load in the utility. Can anyone give me some guidance on how to get my WiFi driver loaded without spending hours and hours learning command line jargon and combing the internet? Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
chattr

Re: New PC, New Mint, No WiFi

Post by chattr »

the WiFi adapter is an Intel Centrino Advanced N6250 AGN card.
According to http://www.intellinuxwireless.org/ this card uses the iwlwifi driver. To see if that driver is loaded, please post here the output in terminal of

Code: Select all

lsmod | grep iwlwifi
If you get no output from that command, then the driver is not loaded, and it will need to be loaded.

If you get output from that command, then the driver is loaded, and we need more information from your machine. To troubleshoot, posting here the output from this terminal command will be helpful:

Code: Select all

ifconfig -a

Return to “Beginner Questions”