Why would my firewall get hitrepeatedly with Mdns & Samba?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SandyBaby

Why would my firewall get hitrepeatedly with Mdns & Samba?

Post by SandyBaby »

I understand what mdns & zeroconf is, so are these just scans looking for machines with this config (or lack therof) activated? From a former Windows perspective a Samba scan would be the equivalent of a File/printer share vulnerability scan; am I off base here? Not sure what to make of it. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
unexistance

Re: Why would my firewall get hitrepeatedly with Mdns & Samb

Post by unexistance »

Hi,

Very hard to say, it might be coming from mint itself, which you can turn off (not load during startup).

Regards,
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

It might not necessarily be a scan. By default both Windows and Linux will broadcast their netbios names to everyone on the LAN so that everyone knows they're there.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
SandyBaby

Post by SandyBaby »

Thanks; yeah in Windows I commonly disabled Netbios/TCp for that reason -- to reduce the chances of my shares getting mapped by some punk. Not sure what protocol is here -- a lot of people in Linux Land say "forgettaboughit, don't worry!" buts thats a tough pill to swallow coming from the Dark Side of MS! I'll have to hit the books again.

Return to “Beginner Questions”