Thunderbird Mail Notification

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PrimeSuspect

Thunderbird Mail Notification

Post by PrimeSuspect »

With Ubuntu 10.10 there is a panel applet (envelope) for new mail notifications which works fine with Thunderbird. I can't seem to find an option for this in Mint? I do need a permanent panel icon in addition to the temporary pop up notifications so if there's a way to achieve this I'd be grateful to know how. Currently using Claws Mail which does provide this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dave68

Re: Thunderbird Mail Notification

Post by Dave68 »

I'd be interested in this as well, but for Evolution.

Thanks,
Dave
PrimeSuspect

Post by PrimeSuspect »

Found the solution here:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content ... lation.htm

Just a subtle difference in that this icon is included by default with Ubuntu but requires a separate download for Mint.
Not sure how you might apply this to Evolution though.
Dave68

Post by Dave68 »

I appreciate the link. I'll keep searching for an Evolution Resolution. :wink:

Thanks Again,
Dave
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

For Evolution, just add a notification area to the panel. It works on mine, giving me a new mail notification icon in the panel and a sound.
Dave68

Post by Dave68 »

I like it!!

Thanks Much,
Dave
hesamd

Post by hesamd »

sgosnell wrote:For Evolution, just add a notification area to the panel. It works on mine, giving me a new mail notification icon in the panel and a sound.

Hi I add the notification area and I also have installed evolution indicator applet. I see the envelope on the panel and if I click on it it directs me to evolution, however the problem is the indicator icon does not change when I get new email. I only get a notification pop up which disappears after a few seconds.

Any suggesiton?
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

On my system, I only get an icon if I have new mail. Clicking on the icon makes it disappear, and causes Evolution to switch to the mail window, if it isn't already there. I don't know what else to tell you, other than to read the docs, and use your favorite search engine. I don't think I have the evolution indicator applet installed, just the standard indicator applet.

Return to “Beginner Questions”