Mint 10 in desktop mode black screen

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grallis

Mint 10 in desktop mode black screen

Post by grallis »

Hello all - recently bought a new pc, I downloaded Mint 10, booted into the test or desktop mode and after Mint loaded I was left with a black screen. Any ideas? Thanks in advance :)

System:
most importantly, ATI HD 5770
Intel i5 760
4 Gb RAM
Realtek onboard audio

Should be all the h\w specs needed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mads

Re: Mint 10 in desktop mode black screen

Post by mads »

Hello grallis.

You could try to add "nomodeset noapic" parameters to the kernel line before booting with live Cd/DVD.
1. Start from live cd and click ENTER to see GRUB menu
2. Highlight the Linux Mint entry and press the 'e” key to edit the boot command before booting
3. Use the cursor keys to navigate to the line that ends with "quiet splash", and add nomodeset noapic (like this: quiet splash nomodeset noapic)
4. When you are done editing the kernel line, press Ctrl-x to boot

Return to “Beginner Questions”