how to Iphone tether?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brisingr

how to Iphone tether?

Post by brisingr »

I have an iphone. is it possible to usb tether in mint julia . ive gotten different answers from different sites... pls help if any of you know!!

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: how to Iphone tether?

Post by richyrich »

this may help . . (the writer states that his ipod works out of the box in mint 10, last post)

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 89&start=0
brisingr

Post by brisingr »

Thanks! ill give it a try...

that looks like its more to connect with that program though and less about sharing the iphones data to my computer :/
Last edited by brisingr on Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soapy138

Post by soapy138 »

use amarok or rythmbox and install libimobile device.

* website w/ files is
libimobiledevice.org
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

brisingr wrote:Thanks! ill give it a try...

that looks like its more to connect with that program though and less about sharing the iphones date to my computer :/
OK so what do you want the iphone to do???
LongRider

Post by LongRider »

grey1960envoy wrote: OK so what do you want the iphone to do???
You can connect your iPhone to your computer and access the Internet over the 3G cellular-data network. AKA: Tether.
I have never tried it but would imagine it would be painfully slow compared to wifi.
brisingr

Post by brisingr »

LongRider wrote:
grey1960envoy wrote: OK so what do you want the iphone to do???
You can connect your iPhone to your computer and access the Internet over the 3G cellular-data network. AKA: Tether.
I have never tried it but would imagine it would be painfully slow compared to wifi.
Yes... I want to share my iphones data over the usb cord to my linux mint machine. This works on windows with no setup at all. Its actually not that bad at all. I mean its obviously not wifi speeds. Its pretty darn good though. it faster then the iphone itself loads pages.
LongRider

Post by LongRider »

Well, I dont have the "Internet Tethering" option activated on my iPhone so I cant give you a solid answer, only a quick guess.
Try turning on the tethering option on the phone, plug it into you computers USB port.
Go to Menu > Control Center > Network Connections and see if it shows up in there. Maybe under wireless or Mobile broadband.

I can only assume that it will work similar to a wireless or wifi USB dongle so if the above doesnt work you may try searching the forum for similar terms.

Sorry if this wasnt much help but maybe it will get you started in the right direction.
piquat

Post by piquat »

Last I knew, you couldn't really tether without jailbreaking with an iphone. Maybe things have changed. I'm no iphone expert by any means.

Jailbreaking is way out of this forums context. For that, google, and proceed with caution, it can brick a phone.

If that's NOT the case, and you DO have some program in the phone to serve this function (little googling kind if reinforces the fact you can't do it out of the box...) start that program. On my WinMo phone there is an app called internet sharing. I go to the connection manager (on the laptop) and right click>edit connections. Go to the "Mobile Broadband" tab and select add. It should be pretty obvious from there. The defaults work on mine, with Alltel. No username or password required. Make sure to click avail. to all users and connect automatically. Then go back to the phone and click connect. It then complains about no cable (on mine anyway), so I plug it in and it connects. You'll also notice it creates another ethx connection and attaches itself to it and the icon in the tray will look like your connected ethernet, same as when you plug in.
LongRider

Post by LongRider »

piquat wrote:Last I knew, you couldn't really tether without jailbreaking with an iphone. Maybe things have changed. I'm no iphone expert by any means.
Tethering is a standard feature, from apple, on my iPhone 3GS. But with my carrier ( ATT) you have to activate the function in your account. This way they can charge you even more money!

No need to modify your iPhone. As you said, that topic is beyond the scope, and ethics, of this board.
piquat

Post by piquat »

LongRider wrote:
piquat wrote:Last I knew, you couldn't really tether without jailbreaking with an iphone. Maybe things have changed. I'm no iphone expert by any means.
Tethering is a standard feature, from apple, on my iPhone 3GS. But with my carrier ( ATT) you have to activate the function in your account. This way they can charge you even more money!

No need to modify your iPhone. As you said, that topic is beyond the scope, and ethics, of this board.
Ahhh, didn't know they could do that without a jailbreak. Learn something new every day!

Return to “Beginner Questions”