Remove Ubuntu 10.10 after installing linux mint 9 SOLVED

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lcovel

Remove Ubuntu 10.10 after installing linux mint 9 SOLVED

Post by lcovel »

I have an odd situation. I have Ubuntu 10.10 installed, a few days ago I installed Linux Mint 9 to dual boot beside ubuntu 10.10. On linux Mint my connections are lot better, so I would like to remove Ubuntu 10.10, which was installed first. How can I safely remove ubuntu 10 and still have an operational system OR, is it possible to downgrade Ubuntu 10.10 to Linux Mint 9 ? Any and all input is greatly appreciated
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: How? Remove Ubuntu 10.10 after installing linux mint 9

Post by proxima_centauri »

Hi iceovel,

The instructions will change depending on how you have your partitions set up. Do you simply have 1 partition for Ubuntu, Linux Mint, and SWAP? or other partitions like /home or data as well? Do you have any important information on your Ubuntu partition you need to backup or transfer to Linux Mint?

Typically, you would boot up into a LiveCD. Use gparted to remove the Ubuntu 10.10 partition, and then re-allocate that space as necessary.

Once you finish the changes, boot back into Linux Mint (Ubuntu will still show, but not boot) and run the following in terminal to update grub and remove the Ubuntu entry

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
lcovel

Post by lcovel »

Only set-up on one partition. There are a few files that I would like to salvage, but nothing that I cant bare to loose. I used aptoncd so that I could quickly reinstall my most used programs, providing that I can install them on mint.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

You can access the Ubuntu partition with the LiveCD as well, you could transfer any files you desired to the new Mint partition.

My above instructions are the same, use gparted to wipe the Ubuntu partition, then allocate that space to the Mint partition (if the free space is before the Linux Mint partition, you will have to first move the partition over, then resize it).

Run sudo update-grub after booting back into Linux Mint to fix grub menu.

Return to “Beginner Questions”