Java

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tyharo

Java

Post by Tyharo »

Well i have just started to use Linux mint on my old laptop. because i wanted to use a different system for once, other than a PC or mac. I am very good with PC's and now that i have started to use Linux mint, i find it to be a nice but confusing change.well I was going to use this laptop for hosting servers for games and other things, so i decided to start with a small simple game: Minecraft. so i downloaded the Linux version with was in a .jar format. I downloaded and saved.
Now is when im getting confused. I have no clue how to launch or use the file. i tried running it usuing java 6.0 but got an error saying:The file '/home/<my user name>/Desktop/Minecraft.jar' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied from an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run.
I downloaded this from minecrafts site so i know its not dangerous.
How do i use launch the game file?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
unexistance

Re: Java

Post by unexistance »

Hi,

Just right-click | properties | permission | mark as executable

Regards,
Tyharo

Re: Java

Post by Tyharo »

I'm currently not on my linx mint laptop but i will try it as soon as i get near my laptop.
Thank you for the reply :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”