Which Mint release is right for me?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sheep

Which Mint release is right for me?

Post by Sheep »

Alright so im not new to Linux however I am new to Mint.

I am running a gamer machine/3d modeling and graphics design rig:

CPU: AMD Phenom II 1090T 3.2GHz x6 Hexa-Core

RAM: 4GB (2X2GB Sticks) Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 Ram @ 2000MHz @ 6-6-7-21 1T

Motherboard: ASUS 750a

GPUs: 1x PNY NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580, 1x XFX NVIDIA GeForce 9800GTX+ (physX/side job GPU)

1tb Western Digital HDD,

DUAL AOC 22" 1920x1080p monitors

ANYWAY:

I was looking at the Fluxbox since my friend just installed it with my referral the only problem is its only 32bit, the Xfce is 64bit but looks ugly as hell (i know it doesn't matter)
I also saw the Debian based version and was REALLY tempted by that but again 32bit and my cards combined have 2GB of RAM and 32bit doesnt jive with all the memory in my system.
There is also KDE but i hardly ever used KDE and am not familiar with it.

Looking for suggestions.

THANKS ALOT IN ADVANCE!

-Sheep
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Murdock

Re: Which Mint release is right for me?

Post by Murdock »

If you make /home on a separate partition why not test them all ?
LM10 is the best I've tried so far.
Sheep

Post by Sheep »

thanks man, yeah I just downloaded 10.0. that fluxbox looks really cool though. Idk we will see, ill try as many as i can lol =-P
admiralspark

Post by admiralspark »

Fluxbox is really meant for lightweight systems, which you definitely don't have. Still, I agree it is an awesome DE!
Checking the blog, I see that the Debian spin is going to be released before christmas with an x64 version, might be interested in that?
I use Mint 10 x64 as my primary and the 32-bit debian spin for when I need to conserve power, both have the same functionality (minus the lack of ram recognition in x32).
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

I can't say about the 64 bit but the Mint10 32 bit worked like a charm although I have since moved on to LMDE and I love it ...again worked right out of the box for my Dell Inspiron 1525 lappy.4GB RAM 320 GB HDD :P :D :P
Sheep

Post by Sheep »

Yeah im VERY interested in the Debian version except i'd like a x64 version, if you say they are supposed to release one I think ill download the LMDE and get used to it/see if i like it.
Thanks to the both of you for your suggestions and help. Ill download the debian version now and keep my eyes peeled for the x64 version you speakest of!
Currently im using win 7 but i really dont like it, it's been messing with me a bit. Idk im tired of windows. crap locked up on me today i was like "confused?" lol. (and its not an issue with my hardware I'm not a newbie at building machines)

I'm not getting rid of win7 but definitely want another os or two on here that i can use that are nice and snappy and could possible game with a bit of tweaking and use the win7 only when i have to =-P

-Sheep

Return to “Beginner Questions”